Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My DF20A 4 stroke won't start

Hi Guys,
    I live in Finland and have not been able to get much help here.

I just bought a new boat and the engine is a 2014 DF20A 4 stroke 20 hP from suzuki with the electronic injection.

It only has 15 hours of use in it so its basically brand new.

It has a steering wheel and a starting key together with the kill switch.

No matter what i do I cant get it to start. The battery has been charged, the petrol changed.
    The spark plugs are dry and it seems that somehow the petrol is not reaching the cylinder for whatever reason.

After taking the spark plugs out and injecting petrol directly to the chamber it goes on for about 10 seconds then it shuts off again.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any reasonable solution to this? all the engine mechanics in this parts are busy for 4- 6 weeks before then can even look at the engine so id like to get a head start.

Thanking you in advance.

Basically, you bought a boat without seeing the motor run? Quite possibly, there might still be a warranty (5 years?) on the motor? I think the first thing you should do is take it to a Suzuki dealership/authorized mechanic and have them check it out. It might take some time, and few dollars, but could help with your new motor in knowing more about it.

Good luck.

Comment

While you’re waiting for Suzuki to have a look at your engine I would suggest you get a service manual for your engine and research this forum re fuel issues. Some questions to ask yourself, condition of fuel lines, correct routing, fuel pump, fuel filters. The way I look at it, spend the time you would be normally boating familiarizing yourself with the engine and post back an irregularities.

Comment

Solarman, well the boat is from our friends Grandpa. So he is paying for whatever cost it would occur to fix it, but we don't seem to figure out what it is.

It seems like after all the research we did , we followed where the petrol is stoping and it seems that the petrol doesn't go past the High pressure pump.
        So now, we must workout if we need a new one or can it be fixed/cleaned...

Thanks

Comment

The service manual is your friend even after you get the current problem fixed

there are several places on the internet you maybe able to download a copy of yhe manual

When you first turn the key to the ‘on’ position- do you hear the high pressure pump activate?
          it would normally run for several seconds as it pressurized the fuel rail
          how long has it been sitting before you purchased it?

if you are hearing the pump run, it could be as simple as taking the high pressure pump apart to get to a very fine mesh fuel filter on the bottom of the pump
          Art

Comment

Working...
          X