1994 DT150 Carbureted motor wont run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 DT150 Carbureted motor wont run

So i acquired a 1994 DT150. It had sat up for close to 10 years. I took the carbs off and went through them with a fine tooth comb. I got the engine running. She ran rough but it was running. I changed the plugs and took the carbs off again to give them a quick cleaning. Well put them back on and she was running a lot better. Put it in the water and then bam the shifter linkage breaks and so did the lil slider that puts it in gear..... fast forward a month.... I found a DT200 for the donor unit... swapped all that around got her back ready to run. Put the water hose to it to run it in the yard before i went and launch it and nothing... When you start to crank it it'll pop but never start. I brought the carbs to an outboard mechanic to be cleaned and in the meantime i pulled the carbs off the 200 cleaned them up and put them on and she'll start, run and idle... Shes very sluggish from the holeshot but on the top end it really starts to open up but i cant get them set right due to them being a great deal bigger than my 150 carbs. So i got the 150 carbs back from the mechanic all cleaned and flushed stuck them on the motor and its doing the same crap.... Turn the key and it'll pop and that's it. I got it to start with some carb cleaner and throttled it up a good but and it started running pretty good... I can see gas flowing in all 6 throats but the minute i touch the throttle from wide open she wants to kill... Can anyone steer me in the right direction.... I'm losing my patience !!!!

Have you got the DT150 suzuki shop manual for your motor?
    The pilot, idle air mixture, screw (should be 1 screw for each throat [6], # 10 in the parts listing), each one should be set identically to the book.
    Try swapping the throttle valve switch from the 200 to the 150, if it will fit (not sure same bolt pattern), if doesn't fit try finding another used donor part.
    It sounds like your throttle valve switch is not working properly.

Good luck, post back when able to let us know what you find.

Comment

I tried swapping the two throttle valve sensor to no avail.... What’s puzzling now is, the motor was running with those other carbs and throttle valve sensor yesterday... last night I was thinking it could be the same thing but now I’m thinking it could be the jetting.... gonna try again this evening

Comment

If you have the manual(?), check the gear counting coil, it has to read each tooth of flywheel, too close, or too far away, and motor won't run well. Compare ohm readings between the two?

Good luck, post back when able.

Comment

I have a manual but it covers from the DT2 to 225 it doesn’t get into the specifics for my motor but it may show something.... I plan on working on it today so I should be able to post back later this evening....

Comment

What’s puzzling to me is,
            why itll run with the carbs from the 200 but not my carbs for the 150..... it almost seems as its
            not getting enough air or fuel...

Comment

Ok so I got it running... but, I had to open the screw for the starter valve for it to run.....

Comment

Originally posted by Squid Marks View Post
                I have a manual but it covers from the DT2 to 225 it doesn’t get into the specifics for my motor but it may show something.... I plan on working on it today so I should be able to post back later this evening....
                Get the Suzuki manual for your engine, it will have all the carb. settings. It will be money well spent!

Comment

Working...
                X