X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Realsass View Post
    Is anyone still following this thread anymore
    Hi Realsass

Yes after reading this thread I decided to do just that. I have a 2017 DF50A. Yesterday I removed the restrictor plate out of the seal and installed it back in.

I haven't run it yet.

It was a bit tedious to get the plate out as it is glued in. I had to slowly break the glue away with a small flat blade screwdriver and stanley knife.

Keen to know as well if anyone has had any problems after running there engines for the last couple of years with no restrictor plate?

Comment

Let me know what changes you saw in the performance

Comment

I've recently purchaseda second hand boat fitted with DF40a from 2014, I've been following this thread and wanted to ask if there has been any follow up discussion or ill efffects noted since the change out of the SIlencer Holder between the 40 & 60? Are you still running yours?
        Cheers

Comment

I assume I could swap the silencer in my 2005 DF50 and use a DF60 instead? Anyone tried this and would it make any difference?

Comment

I removed the restrictor plate out of the restrictor rubber holder on my DF50 and it made a noticeable difference in power. I then bought the proper DF60 rubber housing and when comparing the two housing the DF60 rubber hole was much larger than the DF50 rubber hole with restrictor plate removed.

Gave it a test run and ***, what a massive difference in power. 5 knots more and bounces off the rev limiter with ease, and that is after fitting another prop which was 1 pitch larger. I had that prop on to start with but went one pitch smaller as the motor couldn't pull it with the boat weight. I am now about to put another 1 pitch larger prop on.

I spoke to an expert boat motor tuner and he said to be careful as the motor could be running lean at WOT and running it there for a length of time could cause problems. A remap will fix this. The DF 40s to 60s are comfortably and safely getting 75 to 80 HP after a remap, no restrictor plate and running 98 octane fuel. Sounds like a good option to me.

Comment

Ours is still going fine.

Comment

I removed the restrictor plate out of the restrictor rubber holder on my DF50 and it made a noticeable difference in power. I then bought the proper DF60 rubber housing and when comparing the two housing the DF60 rubber hole was much larger than the DF50 rubber hole with restrictor plate removed.

Gave it a test run and what a massive difference in power. 5 knots more and bounces off the rev limiter with ease, and that is after fitting another prop which was 1 pitch larger. I had that prop on to start with but went one pitch smaller as the motor couldn't pull it with the boat weight. I am now about to put another 1 pitch larger prop on.

I spoke to an expert boat motor tuner and he said to be careful as the motor could be running lean at WOT and running it there for a length of time could cause problems. An ECU tune will fix this.

Comment

I'm about to fo this mod also to a df50a, what pitch prop are ypu running? I'm currently running a 11 3/8 x 14. Thinking going up to 16 pitch?

Comment

Currently have the 11 3/8 x 14 back on and need to up prop it. Was going to try the 15 pitch first.

Definitely buy the DF60a intake rubber instead of removing the restrictor plate out of the rubber on your 50.

Part number is

13813-88L00 HOLDER,SILENCER (Suzuki) $4.97

Comment

• cheers mate, ordered the part and have a new prop waiting, you done a trial with 15 pitch prop yet?
                      Whst size boat have you got the motor on?

Comment

• Hi all,

looking at purchasing a 2013 DF40 Tiler steer for my 4.1m horizon, however, I’m concerned that the tiller will Clash with the rear seat as it’s on the opposite side of the outboard to what is currently on the boat . When reading up on the tiller models it states that the can be set to three different positions, however that as much as they state.. what are these positions? Can you set the tiller handle out wider so you get free range of movement?

any help is appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by 2014DF25ARS View Post
                          mmanuel, did you open yours to look at it, or are you only referring to the drawing? It looks like I would need to remove the intake manifold cover to see the Restrictor Holder, correct? If you take pictures of yours, I'll take pictures of mine. ;^) Gearhead ****...

What's interesting to me (and a couple of friends with similar boats) is that Suzuki only offers the DF30 in a long-shaft configuration, while the DF25 is available in either short- or long-shaft. My boat is designed for a short-shaft motor. So it would be nice to be able to get 30 HP from a short-shaft motor...

Do you now thing the ECU may be smart enough to deal correctly with the different Restrictor?
                          The restrictor plate in the 25 has a center hole about 5/8”.
                          Replacement is wide open, it’s just a seal. You’ll need the ECU to get to 30hp. I have done this on my new DF25ATS.

Comment

• Very interest in the DF50A or DF40A upgrade to DF60A

in the spec sheets the DF40A shows a lower max revs, while the DF50A and DF60A show 5300, the same
                            For those whom have replaced the air restrictor, do you think the ECU needs to be swapped, replaced, or reflashed for simply each of these 3 engines is using the same ECU with the same firmware?

If you buy a DF50A, the max revs seems to be the same as DF60A so for someone whom hasnt bought does this make it more probable the DF50A ECU is the same as the DF60A ecu?

What about a JET lower unit. For those whom have done the air resitrictor swap, most have increased pitch on the prop. If one was going to change the lower unit to a jet, would you just take what you get? Go with a bigger impeller?

Seems like there should be a way to compare the firmware of the ECU to see if indeed the ECU for the 40a 50a and 60a are all the same. I called a local suzuki rep and he said the part numbers are different, but as everyone indicates they appear to be interchangable.

In the thread above, someone mentioned remap the ECU. what does this mean?

Comment

• I am back. My DF40A has run flawlessly since I changed the silencer. To answer some who asked. Sorry, I forgot to follow this thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                                These engines have all got different ecu part numbers and the sixty hp has got different part numbers for the injectors.
                                2022 update: Redlowrey was correct at the time of posting. For 2010/11 years, DF60 injectors had a different part number, but from 2012 to current they reverted back to 15710-85K00 so the same injector is now shared across all 40/50/60 models.

You can't just change the silencer holder and expect to get the full 60hp. Needs a remap or replacement ecu.

DF40a has a lower over-rpm limit of 6200rpm
                                DF50a shares same 22° ignition advance of DF40
                                DF60a has ignition advance of 25°
                                DF50/60 High Thrust (4.1/4" gearcase) models have a different map to the 3.1/2" engines, probably better adjusting torque characteristics for the 2.417:1 ratio (normal is 2.28:1).

Comment

Working...
                                X