Help Needed with Zerk Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed with Zerk Fitting

I’m having difficulties with my zerk fitting taking grease from my grease gun. The grease gun fits on the zerk fitting but no grease will go in. The zerk fitting that’s giving me problems is the fitting attached to the black part in the picture. I believe it’s part of the Sea Star steering system. Is this fitting the same size as the rest on the engine or is the zerk fitting that’s giving me problems a different size since it’s part of the Sea Star system?
    Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Comment

I think you will find that is not a grese zerk. I am pretty sure it is a bleeder for the hydraulic fluid in the steering. In amy case its not a part of the Suzuki outboard! Its a steering component.

The reason you cant get grease in is probably because it is locked, which is just as well because you dont want to put grease in there!

Have you got a manual for your hydraulic steering? If not find one from the supplier online and have a read of it.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 12-17-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

It IS a zerk fitting, amd not associated with your Sea Star hydraulic steering. It is for greasing your tilt bracket. If it won't take grease, it's because the little check ball right there in the middle of the fitting is frozen to the fitting and won't retract under pressure. So there are two things to try to fix the problem. First try to physically free the check ball with an awl or nail or other pointed tool. If that fails to free the check ball and allow the fitting to accept grease, then the other solution it to remove the zerk and replace it. just a small wrench will easily unscrew the fitting and they are cheap and easy to find. Zerks often freeze and have to be replaced. It's not unusual at all, especially if exposed to a hostile salt water environment.

Edit. It's not the tilt bracket fitting, since that fitting is on the white painted part right beside it. But it Is still definitley a zerk fitting and appears to be associated with the steering bracket. I don't think it pivots there when you tilt the motor. In other words, the steering bracket moves with the motor on that axis when you tilt the motor. I don't think my DF150 has a zerk there, but I'll look once the sun comes up this morning. But it still is a zerk, not a hydraulic bleed valve. Of that I'm positive.
            Last edited by Harper; 12-17-2018, 08:23 AM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks guys. Its defiantly not the bleeding valve and its a zerk fitting

Comment

Yes, it is a zerk, sometimes removing and soaking in a degreaser will free it up.
                It is a part that needs grease, it allows the steering assy to move as the motor tilts. Keeping fresh grease in it will prevent the old grease from drying out causing zerks to freeze up.

Good luck.

Comment

On rare occasions the manufacturing process screws up and the grease passage hasn’t been drilled far enough maybe short by a few thousands of an inch, rare but it does happen, worth keeping in the back of your mind.

Comment

I would start by removing the zerks fitting, and filling the hole with a high quality penetrating oil then install new zerks and try pumping in a light grease, if successful proceed to pump in waterproof grease

Jim

Comment

Apparently, on your motor, whatever model and year it is, the shaft on the tilt bracket remains stationary with the mounting bracket, while the motor and steering bracket rotate on it, On my '07 DF150, the shaft rotates in the mounting bracket with the motor and steering bracket. I have no zerk on the steering bracket at all. 20181218_092818.jpg20181218_092844.jpg20181218_092854.jpg
                      Last edited by Harper; 12-19-2018, 08:58 AM.
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

My engine is a 200hp 2017

Comment

Did you get the zerk problem straightened out?
                          Mike
                          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

You should try pumping the grease gun while you have someone else raise and lower the engine or turn the steering wheel depending on what zerk to are trying to grease. The rotation in the tube will more readily allow the grease to flow.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X