No announcement yet.

2018 DF200A Rev Limit Alarm Flashes in Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you verify/rule out weak battery? Load test?

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
      Did you verify/rule out weak battery? Load test?
      Yes....all the batteries tested fine.
      Another suggestion was to check the throttle cable as it may be a hair loose so that when you just pit it in gear the throttle sensor on the linkage still thinks the motor is in neutral and activates the alarm.....I have to check this.

Comment

The water sensor in the fuel filter on the engine could be faulty, that is, if you are 100% CERTAIN that there is not actually water in that filter. Have you drained it into a glass jar and let it settle to verify?

Lots of sensors work by applying a ground. If you know where the water in fuel sensor is on your motor (in the water separating fuel filter) then disconnect the sensor (Wire attached to the filter) and see if the problem goes away. If so, and based on your comment there is no water in the fuel filter, then the sensor is likely to be faulty.

The ECM records various events and one of them is an over - rev, I think its if the revs exceed 6500 rpm. This is unlikely to be related to that light going on at idle, as it does to indicate water in fuel. If it was, then there wouldn’t be one such event recorded in the ECM, there would be multiple records showing the same event.

The ECM is not going to record such an event that hasn't actually happened.

I have experienced it myself when we got into aerated water on a bar crossing and the prop totally lost grip. Over rev alarm, we had to drop the throttle back to idle for a second or two, this clears the alarm condition and you can then accelerate again as normal.
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-23-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
          The water sensor in the fuel filter on the engine could be faulty, that is, if you are 100% CERTAIN that there is not actually water in that filter. Have you drained it into a glass jar and let it settle to verify?

Lots of sensors work by applying a ground. If you know where the water in fuel sensor is on your motor (in the water separating fuel filter) then disconnect the sensor (Wire attached to the filter) and see if the problem goes away. If so, and based on your comment there is no water in the fuel filter, then the sensor is likely to be faulty.

The ECM records various events and one of them is an over - rev, I think its if the revs exceed 6500 rpm. This is unlikely to be related to that light going on at idle, as it does to indicate water in fuel. If it was, then there wouldn’t be one such event recorded in the ECM, there would be multiple records showing the same event.

The ECM is not going to record such an event that hasn't actually happened.

I have experienced it myself when we got into aerated water on a bar crossing and the prop totally lost grip. Over rev alarm, we had to drop the throttle back to idle for a second or two, this clears the alarm condition and you can then accelerate again as normal.

Thanks.....yes...I checked the fuel filter and emptied it into a glass jar....no water. I will try unplugging the sensor. What bothers me is I know for a fact this motor has never been over revved and the alarm has never come on at higher rpm......only when first clicked into gear...yet the download shows i t was over revved......definitely not the case.......in fact.....once we took the boat out.......putted around for a while until the alarm would act up.....then pulled it and downloaded and guess what......it showed the motor over revved when in this case it never broke 2000 rpm.....this makes no sense to me. The number of over revs correlated with the number of time the alarm went off when slowly clicking into gear.....i will say if i put it in gear quickly and throttle it up I do not get an alarm. Intersting that we cannot reproduce this alarm on kand with the ears......boat has to be running for a while before it occurs.

Comment

August 3, 202 Update:

I tried adjusting the shift cable 2 turns in to make sure it was disengaging the neutral switch and this made no difference. This past weekend i unplugged the sensor on the low pressure fuel filter after making sure there was no water in this filter and the alarm only came on once this past weekend on a 50 hour trip..............the weekend before it came on at least 12-15 times so I'm thinking this has something to do with it. I will leave it unplugged and test it this coming weekend.

Comment

August 27, 2020.
              A new problem has developed............the STBD motor starting stalling when I throttle down to the first click but not taking it completely out of gear. All 4 alarm lights will light up and there are 3 beeps as it stalls. It does not do this all the time but is definitely becoming more frequent. The fuel filters are new. Coincidentally....on the same motor the trim switch has been acting up.....when I hit it i get nothing then 10 seconds later it works..............so episodically it will not work. Anyone have any ideas ?? I brought it to a Suzuki dealer yesterday and they said the scan was fine (even though the rev limit alarm keeps going off on both motors taking it out of gear). They seem to think it is a fuel flow problem but this motor runs just fine at 4500 RPM when cruising.

Comment

Sept 6, 2020:
                The STBD motor yesterday stalled once when running. For about a minute I turned the key and nothing. Then it restarted. There were no alarm codes. We put it on the trailer and came home. When trying to start it again to flush it...............nothing...turned the key and dead. The lights flash normally on startup but after going through diagnostics the "check engine" light was flashing in a 4-2 pattern. This would be the CPK sensor. The next day it fired just fine..........go figure.......but I'm still getting the 4-2 flash patter. Could this CPK sensor be what was causing the motor to suddenly shut off?? This time the trim worked unlike the last time. Could this be another bad Neutral safety switch like the one on my PORT motor last year that is episodically failing? I do know the Neutral Safety switch should not cause the motor to shut off but certainly the CPK sensor could............but I cannot believe I am having multiple problems at once. I do have a new White wire coming from a dealer. Anyone with any ideas?

I would also like to add that to date no one has figured out why the Rev Limit light comes on when taking either motor out of hear with one beep. I have to put the throttle in Neutral to clear it then if I put it in gear fast it will be fine..............this is also an episodic problem that occurs maybe 10x on a 72 hour trip. Initially I was told this was a low voltage soft alarm so I replace all the batteries and put isolators in for the house batteries.......but in reviewing the service manual that is NOT what this is..........according to my service manual a low voltage alarm will the the "check engine" light on but the rev limiter will NOT be active........in my case it is active. I tried adjusting the shifter cables as recommended with no change. I was told this is water in the low pressure filter or that sensor is bad...........checked the filter and no water...........unplugged the sensor and it still did it.
                Last edited by Doc Z....; 09-08-2020, 12:14 AM.

Comment

This is still showing many symptoms of a “white wire” problem and its probably behind all of your issues.

There’s a sticky thread near the top of this forum that explains it.

Where is your white wire connected to?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                    This is still showing many symptoms of a “white wire” problem and its probably behind all of your issues.

There’s a sticky thread near the top of this forum that explains it.

Where is your white wire connected to?

Yes...I have a new white wire coming to install. My white wire is directly connected to the battery and just under the cowling there is a bullet connector connecting it to a the wire going somewhere into the motor. I suspect the white wire could be the main issue bc I cannot believe I have a bad CPK sensor and neutral safety switch at the same time.

Comment

There’s a fuse (or should be) in the white wire, usually close to the battery end, in a rubber holder. Wouldnt be the first time water has got into there and caused corrosion.

It would be worth tracing the engine all the way to the ecu to make sure there is no damage along the full length or where it connects to the ecu.

Most times the white wire is connected to the + side of the main battery switch, probably thats the preferred location, so if real bad (smoke) stuff happens in the engine, it can be turned off.

But to the start battery is OK.

Good luck, lets hope this solves your issues!

Comment

The crank sensor would certainly make the engine stop, but it has nothing to do with the engine not cranking over, I agree with moonlighter it sounds like a wiring problem whether from ignition supply, eg white ignition supply wire or somewhere else. After engine stall and nothing turning the key could be from a number reasons, why don't you do some simple voltage drop tests your self from the white supply at the battery to the ignition key and then to the main control relay just for a start and watch for voltage drop when you put it in gear. I have no information or wiring schematic for your engine to give you some simple tests to do, but as far as your fuel filter sensor goes, trick the sensor and see what alarms come on with the key on.

You mention the neutral switch, if it was out of spec the check engine light should come on, and you make no mention of the shift position sensor, is your engine a V6 or a 4cyl because Suzuki did put out some four cyl engines and badge them df 200a.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                          The crank sensor would certainly make the engine stop, but it has nothing to do with the engine not cranking over, I agree with moonlighter it sounds like a wiring problem whether from ignition supply, eg white ignition supply wire or somewhere else. After engine stall and nothing turning the key could be from a number reasons, why don't you do some simple voltage drop tests your self from the white supply at the battery to the ignition key and then to the main control relay just for a start and watch for voltage drop when you put it in gear. I have no information or wiring schematic for your engine to give you some simple tests to do, but as far as your fuel filter sensor goes, trick the sensor and see what alarms come on with the key on.

You mention the neutral switch, if it was out of spec the check engine light should come on, and you make no mention of the shift position sensor, is your engine a V6 or a 4cyl because Suzuki did put out some four cyl engines and badge them df 200a.

My Suzukis are 4 cylinders. The suzuki dealer/tech said it was a bad CKP sensor but I do not think this was my original problem......it certainly was bad the last time out (as evident by the 4-2 engine light code) and probably had something to do with the new stalling issue but.......if it was just the sensor the motor should have turned over and just not started....but it was dead. I cannot seem to get them to understand this......i believe I have 2 problems.....the CKP was def bad and the tech said there was considerabke rust which I do not understand......the Suzuki rep said that low voltage would cause the sensor to fail.....I think that is crap too. The rust bothers me bc it is under the cowl and this boat does not sit in the water.....I was now told i should remove the cowl and lightly clean the motor with water.....WTF? I am checking out a product called Corrosion X to spray on the motor as a rust inhibitor.

i still think the main issue is my white wire because when it initially happened the trim would not work...so I got a new one and will be doing some testing...unfortunately i am done for the year so actual water testing will have to wait. One time when the motor would not turn start on land i did check the white wire and there was no voltage....then 1 minute later there suddenly was ...... I also checked the fuse and it is clean with no corrosion.

I still have the original issue which no one has a clue......the rev limit light activating when i throttle down or just put it in gear....thus does btw activate the rev limiter and it is cleared when taken out of gear and put back in gear......if I put it in gear fast and throttle up it never does it....only when I just bump it into gear. The biggest issue is that this is so random when it ocurs and never occurs on land when run with the ears no matter how many times I put it in/out of gear. I did try adjusting the shift position sensor at the motors and this did not help.

I like the idea of checking the fuel filter sensor.......I will turn on the key then trip it to see if I get the same rev limit alarm.....although I did disconnect it and had no issues for 2 weeks so I thought for sure that was it.....then it started again while it was disconnected.

Comment

Just an update here....I had found that my white wire was corroded on the inside and replaced it.....since then this season I have not had this alarm go off yet so I'm guessing this was the issue making the computer think there was a low voltage situation.

Comment

Working...
                            X