Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 DF115 Tilt and Trim Unresponsive

Hi all,

I recently bought and fully serviced/updated a 2013 Carolina Skiff DLV 198 with a 2012 DF115a. She runs beautifully, but last weekend I managed to stray a bit from the channel, thankfully at low speed, and hit some sea grass. She stalled once as I came completely off throttle, but after I reversed back to deeper water, I found tilt and trim no longer worked. Thankfully, I had her trimmed down and have a jackplate so we had no problem returning to to the ramp and enjoying our day.

I have checked the PTT fuse, all good, and can hear the clicking noise from both the relay on the motor and at the throttle. Any suggestions on next steps are appreciated mightily.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

First I might check the tilt limit switch, to see if still ok, set properly? Then I would do a few voltage checks to see if I'm getting voltage to the tilt motor wire leads, when the button is activated, next I'd start looking at wiring connections, especially grounds, from tilt motor back to solenoids.

If you hear the clicking, then the solenoids are engaging, and the switches appear to be ok.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

I will do so later today. Many thanks!

I found the manual online. Is there a trusted source for shop manuals on the DF115? Thanks!

Comment

Browns Point Suzuki

Comment

disconnect the trim switch on the side of the engine and then check the trim at the throttle again
          art

Comment

Thanks. The switches, fuses, and relays are fine, and the harness providing power to the PTT motor has power also. Next is lifting the motor up from the transom to access the PTT motor and see if it is jammed and if it has power. Any suggestions beyond using a floor jack? Safe way to prop her up? The boat is on the side of the house (no garage).

Thanks!

Comment

did you try disconnecting the trim switch on the engine and then use the switch on the remote ?

Comment

You should be able to tilt the motor by hand once you open the by-pass screw.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                  did you try disconnecting the trim switch on the engine and then use the switch on the remote ?
                  Yes, no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jHydroman View Post
                    You should be able to tilt the motor by hand once you open the by-pass screw.

Jim
                    I did. The issue is that I need leverage to keep the motor up while I check the PTT motor. My brother-in-law is coming over today. Thanks.

Comment

There should be a locking tab to hold the engine up once you have it manually tilted. I have a DF90 and it’s heavy, for safety sake it’s a two man job. Or I’m just weak.

Comment

We worked on it today, got it high enough to tap on the PTT motor and hydraulics to see if we could knock anything loose that could have jammed— lightly, and it worked once we had her high enough. We also checked the fluid, added more to help clean it out, bled it to the right level, and voila. Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Great forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X