Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you guys change spark plugs on your 4 strokes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you guys change spark plugs on your 4 strokes?

I have an 06 DF200 with 470 hrs. I changed the plugs at 330 Hrs. 2 years ago. How often do you swap your plugs out?

As per owners manual, Inspect every 6 months or 100 hours, Replace 1 year or 200 hours. In my case since I put on 20-30 hours/year I replace my plugs every 2 years. If you experience any electrical issues that you suspect is engine related then I would replace the plugs as part of the process of elimination.

Comment

Mine get changed every year. I also average 500hrs. yearly

Comment

I replace yearly or every 200 hours, whichever occurs first.

Comment

*** so many hours, You drive back and forth to work in your boats.

Comment

Retired, screw work! Work gets in the way of fishing

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
              Retired, screw work! Work gets in the way of fishing
              Seconded! LOL!

Comment

It's strange. In cars spark plugs get replaced around 50K-60K kilometers. In boat motors we change them out every year or two, even when they had around 20-50 hours? Plugs are never worn out. Just changed my plugs this summer, old plugs looked very o.k. It's not a big issue to change them out but sometimes I think that changing is done way to early.
                Regards, Martin
                DF200 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Hoosmatroos View Post
                  It's strange. In cars spark plugs get replaced around 50K-60K kilometers. In boat motors we change them out every year or two, even when they had around 20-50 hours? Plugs are never worn out. Just changed my plugs this summer, old plugs looked very o.k. It's not a big issue to change them out but sometimes I think that changing is done way to early.
                  I agree with you and so does Suzuki, based on my 2017 DF140A owners manual. The inspection and maintenance schedule goes out 3 years or 300 hours. It calls for inspection of the spark plugs every 100 hours but does not mention replacing them. It goes on to state in the spark plug section that you should inspect them for wear and has 6 nice pictures of plugs with wear and discoloration issues. It states to replace the plugs if you see any of these conditions otherwise, clean and regap. I'd be inclined to replace at 300 hours since they are cheap and easy to change.

Comment

Working...
                  X