Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Same Outboard Different electrical settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same Outboard Different electrical settings?

Hi. Honestly im completely lost and dont know whom or what to believe. Me and my friend BOTH bought a new outboard same HP, and of the same year. Suzuki 115 DF. Both where rigged by the same authorized person. Apart from threads before that both were rigged with different height levels ( Same Boat and model ), another issue arose.
    My Outboard when i turn the battery switch to OFF position, and i turn key on nothing happens, no lights nothing. Just the bilge pump stays working which i understand.
    My Mate SAME outboard model and rigged by the same person, when his battery is off and turns the key on his gauges and starting alarm will light and sound ONLY but nothing else works( except Bilge pump) and could not even start engine.
    So difference between us is that when both of us have batteries off, Mine have no current at all except bilge while his seems to have current in Gauges and light.
    My friend inquired and was told that his is right because im Disconnecting the ECU every time i put battery off and vice versa when switch to on which its no good for the ECU and could cause problems. However in my humble opinion i prefer that when i leave boat unattended there is no current ( except bilge which is connected direct ) for safety.
    Could please someone guide me? Who is right?

You switch is wired correctly, his is NOT.

It is total BS that turning the master key off will do anything at all to the ecu. Utter rubbish.

Really, the number of issues you have had with your dealer...... - I would be finding a new, competent Suzuki dealer/mechanic to look after my boat/motor...

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      You switch is wired correctly, his is NOT.

It is total BS that turning the master key off will do anything at all to the ecu. Utter rubbish.

Really, the number of issues you have had with your dealer...... - I would be finding a new, competent Suzuki dealer/mechanic to look after my boat/motor...
      Thanks a lot Moonlighter for all the help i ALWAYS found from your side

Comment

Originally posted by Karnic View Post
        Hi. Honestly im completely lost and dont know whom or what to believe. Me and my friend BOTH bought a new outboard same HP, and of the same year. Suzuki 115 DF. Both where rigged by the same authorized person. Apart from threads before that both were rigged with different height levels ( Same Boat and model ), another issue arose.
        My Outboard when i turn the battery switch to OFF position, and i turn key on nothing happens, no lights nothing. Just the bilge pump stays working which i understand.
        My Mate SAME outboard model and rigged by the same person, when his battery is off and turns the key on his gauges and starting alarm will light and sound ONLY but nothing else works( except Bilge pump) and could not even start engine.
        So difference between us is that when both of us have batteries off, Mine have no current at all except bilge while his seems to have current in Gauges and light.
        My friend inquired and was told that his is right because im Disconnecting the ECU every time i put battery off and vice versa when switch to on which its no good for the ECU and could cause problems. However in my humble opinion i prefer that when i leave boat unattended there is no current ( except bilge which is connected direct ) for safety.
        Could please someone guide me? Who is right?
        Your friend has the infamous White Wire wired straight to the + post on a battery, Yours is wired to the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post

Your friend has the infamous White Wire wired straight to the + post on a battery, Yours is wired to the switch?
          Yes i think mine is wired to the switch. What you think ?

Comment

After contacting authorised dealer he confirmed that Suzuki recommends that this wire need to be connected to the + of battery and not the switch. Honestly i prefer as my set up is but as i dont understand in electrics i got confused now what to do. In winter i disconnect batteries so what you guys think is the deal?

Comment

After contacting authorised dealer he confirmed that Suzuki recommends that this wire need to be connected to the + of battery and not the switch. Honestly i prefer as my set up is but as i dont understand in electrics i got confused now what to do. In winter i disconnect batteries so what you guys think is the deal?
              There is some merit in what he is saying, boat engines are becoming just as complicated as car engines, you wouldn't disconnect the battery on a late model car with out a memory saver installed or you will have drivability problems when you reconnect the battery. If your engine is open loop, meaning it doe's not have an 02.sensor the computer cannot tell how rich or lean the engine is running, it will just use the default algorithms set in the ecu. If on the other hand it is running an 02 sensor the ecu will be trimming the fuel to keep the air fuel ratio at its optimum, if it has electronic throttle control it will need to know the % of throttle opening for start up and so on. The computer makes small changes based on the information from the 02 sensor when you disconnect the battery it will loose its random access memory.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post

There is some merit in what he is saying, boat engines are becoming just as complicated as car engines, you wouldn't disconnect the battery on a late model car with out a memory saver installed or you will have drivability problems when you reconnect the battery. If your engine is open loop, meaning it doe's not have an 02.sensor the computer cannot tell how rich or lean the engine is running, it will just use the default algorithms set in the ecu. If on the other hand it is running an 02 sensor the ecu will be trimming the fuel to keep the air fuel ratio at its optimum, if it has electronic throttle control it will need to know the % of throttle opening for start up and so on. The computer makes small changes based on the information from the 02 sensor when you disconnect the battery it will loose its random access memory.
                Yes i have 02 sensor. Issue confused me of whats the best to do. who says this and who says that and everyone seems to have good reasons. In winter batteries for sure have to be disconnected. Couldnt leave boat in garage with battery connected for long periods. Even locally everyone have different versions who tell me leave it connected to switch and turn off and some tell me you are not doing what suzuki reccomends thus compromising warranty issues.

Comment

Yes i have 02 sensor. Issue confused me of whats the best to do. who says this and who says that and everyone seems to have good reasons. In winter batteries for sure have to be disconnected. Couldnt leave boat in garage with battery connected for long periods. Even locally everyone have different versions who tell me leave it connected to switch and turn off and some tell me you are not doing what suzuki reccomends thus compromising warranty issues.
                  All is a varying degree of B/S. Do what ever you are comfortable with. I live in Alaska I leave my battery's in the boat always.
                  I see -40F at my house every year & my boats live outside, if it's going to be really cold for a extended period I will leave a 1.5 amp batt. maintainer plugged in. Far more potential for damage removing battery's & installing battery's than just leaving them alone! (keep terminals clean & tight) ps I am on year #5 for my boat battery's both salt & river boats.

Comment

Working...
                  X