Loud idle on my DF 140 outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud idle on my DF 140 outboard

I have a 2007 Seafox with a DF 140 on it. The last two trips I noticed that my idle is "loud". I have always been amazed at how quite this engine was (it's my first four-stroke) but now all of a sudden something has changed? I liken it to the sound of a pulpwood truck idling. But it's basically just while at idle and not running that I've noticed it. The engine performs well like it always has so not sure what could be causing this. It sounds like something going on with the exhaust and I've removed the cowl and looked it over but can't really identify anything. Please help.

Might check the exhaust plug under the lower cowling area, I'm not sure if the 07 motor had this problem? Someone else might know if the 07 had this problem?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Solarman, you are right on, I have loss several of the exhaust restrictors over the years on my DF 140

Jim

Comment

I have a 07 DF140. I never had an exhaust plug come out, but did have it eat through the engine holder. I had the engine holder that had a plug, where an O2 sensor was considered installing by Suzuki. I had changed the steel plug to aluminum early on. It did not matter, still made hole. That's a mucked up hole, as if left unattended it will eat a hole in a cover plate and oil will leak from the oil sump(?).
        The replacement is a 3 out of 4 wench job
        Briscoe

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
          I have a 07 DF140. I never had an exhaust plug come out, but did have it eat through the engine holder. I had the engine holder that had a plug, where an O2 sensor was considered installing by Suzuki. I had changed the steel plug to aluminum early on. It did not matter, still made hole. That's a mucked up hole, as if left unattended it will eat a hole in a cover plate and oil will leak from the oil sump(?).
          The replacement is a 3 out of 4 wench job
          Briscoe
          Interesting that engine holder failed even thou you replaced the steel plug with an aluminum one..

I have a pair of the same 07, DF 140's on my boat and I also replaced the steel plugs with aluminum ones early on. I have about 550 hours on each engine now and all appears OK, just wondering if its a smoking gun just wasting to happen. Both engines have been flawless to date.

I run engine and flush with Salt Away after each trip when running in salt water.

How man hours did you have on engine when the engine holder failed?

JIm

Comment

In response to Jim's pair of 140's. I had around nearly 1000 hours. It was running fine but making a different sound.

Comment

In response to Jim's pair of 140's. I had around nearly 1000 hours. It was running fine but making a different sound.
              Brisco,

Thanks for the response.

Did you replace or repair the engine holder?

Jim

Comment

I replaced it. Not real hard. You need an engine lift to hold the power head up. You don't have to remove all the electrial wiring and harness. You unbolt the power head and attach to lift, raise it a few inches and remove oil pan then holder. Of course the owners manual is great although it say to remove wiring harness. One has to remember, you are only removing the holder, not tearing the engine apart piece by piece. The truth is since you replaced the AL plug you to could work out the plug with PB Blaster and break over bar. Tighten, loosen, repeat. Spray tighten loosen. Once out, rent an one of those little cameras and look. The hole was worn on the opposite side of the plug, down about 2 inches. You may be fine. 300 more hours is a long time!
                Briscoe
                ​​​​

Comment

I replaced it. Not real hard. You need an engine lift to hold the power head up. You don't have to remove all the electrial wiring and harness. You unbolt the power head and attach to lift, raise it a few inches and remove oil pan then holder. Of course the owners manual is great although it say to remove wiring harness. One has to remember, you are only removing the holder, not tearing the engine apart piece by piece. The truth is since you replaced the AL plug you to could work out the plug with PB Blaster and break over bar. Tighten, loosen, repeat. Spray tighten loosen. Once out, rent an one of those little cameras and look. The hole was worn on the opposite side of the plug, down about 2 inches. You may be fine. 300 more hours is a long time!
                  Briscoe
                  ​​​​
                  Thanks for the response. When I installed the AL plugs I use antisieze on the threads, Think I will purchase one of bore scopes for you mobile phone, they are pretty cheap.

Jim

Comment

It will be worth the peace of mind.
                    If you get into it contact me and I'll make sure you have the correct sections from the book. With 2 engines you would always look at the other for questions on the rebuild

Comment

Turns out it was the little exhaust restrictor plug located next to the tell tale (pee stream). It must have blown out. Now i'm more concerned about this exhaust plug and corrosion issue! I need to know more about this please as in what do I do to eliminate this potential failure? Is it a dissimilar metals corrosion issue?

Comment

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-engine-holder

Comment

Working...
                        X