'08 DF250 Tilt Rod Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '08 DF250 Tilt Rod Removal

Have been searching on this site and over on THT, but did not find anything definitive for my question.The question is, can the PTT tilt rod (the center one, not the two rams) be removed and top seal replaced without removing the entire PTT unit from the boat? The key is after removing the top pin of the tilt rod, is there enough room to pivot the tilt rod cylinder out far enough to withdraw the tilt rod, with the engine fully tilted up/forward? I saw a post somewhere, where this was achieved on a Yamaha, 150 I think.

The issue I'm having is a leaking top seal, which leaks fluid, allowing air in and hampering the performance of the PTT.

I have the service manual and it describes the PTT removal process, which involves supporting engine weight from above and removing the bolts from the starboard engine mount bracket and moving the bracket over to allow the PTT to be removed. If the entire PTT assembly has to be removed, this may be a job for the repair shop. I don't really want to invest in a seal kit and the removal tools if I have to take it in.

Check with your parts dealer, but I think you can buy the entire assy (should have all new seals cap and rod), plus get the wrench. Then unscrew the old, and replace with the new. Tilt/raise the foot of the motor, then support the motor to prevent it from dropping down (a board under the gear case should hold it up), remove the pin, then lower the trim rod bout half way with switch (leave enough room to get wrench on the trim cap, and unscrew it). You don't want to use the tilt switch while cap is unscrewed. Once unscrewed the entire assy should slide all the way up. Replace with the new assy, add new ptt fluid by the manual. Then using tilt switch, raise the tilt rod, guide it back in place, and replace the pin.

Make sure the assy you buy is the entire assy for your motor.

Good luck. Post back on what you did. You could take some pics to post on how it went.

Comment

I'll take that as a yes, TILT rod can be removed while PTT assembly is still in place. My intent was to purchase the seals kit from Five Star Marine, and if I bugger the cap getting it off, the cap w/ seal in it as well, along with the spanner tool. I'll snap a few pics along the way. Thanks for response.

Comment

I'm not familiar with Five Star, and not familiar if you can just buy the seals? In the past working with 2 strokes of all sizes, those seals couldn't be purchased separately, without buying the entire replacement kit, cap and all.

Good luck.

Comment

Finally got the order off and got the seal kit and tools. I ordered the tilt rod cap tool as well as a smaller spanner wrench tool to get the trim caps off. Both were a bit cheaper than the tools that MarineTech Tools has, although not quite as nice. The seal kit did have seals for both tilt rod cap and the trim rod caps. Seal kit was $61.

Comment

Multiple posts here so I can get to 10 and post some photos.
            First step, before even taking the upper tilt shaft out, was to get setup to break the tilt cap loose. With engine fully up and on the engine supports, I put the wrench on the cap, then measured a cut a block of wood to wedge in between the top of the wrench and the underside of the tilt shaft casting, so the wrench pins couldn't slip out of the cap holes. Used the 1/2 inch socket wrench on the tilt pin tool with about a 3'-0 length of 2 inch pvc pipe. Much to my surprise it came loose without too much drama (engine is '08, run in salt, but doesn't sit in the water). Keeping it on the upper tilt rod shaft keeps it from moving around while you're wrenching on it. Once loose, then take out the upper shaft pin, and the entire tilt cylinder rotates downward. The tilt cylinder assembly can be replaced as a unit ($470 on this model), but in order to do so,, the entire PTT has to come off, which takes loosening one side of the engine brackets. I didn't want to do that, my intent was to replace the cap seals and O-rings that I could get to.

Comment

Once I rotated the tilt cylinder down, unscrewed the tilt rod cap and pulled the tilt rod assembly out. Didn't have a good vise, so took the tilt rod and hung it from the upper tilt shaft to hold it from rotating. The bottom nut has to come off the get the tilt cap and piston off. The nut is put on with Loc-Tite. Not sure if that nut is metric or not, but a 15/16" fit it quite well. Again, 1/2" ratchet and pipe cracked it free.

Comment

With the bottom nut just loosened, take it back off the tilt shaft and to a workbench. Under the nut is a large washer that hold 4 springs, little pistons, and ball bearings. Hold the tilt rod vertically and remove the nut and washer. Then carefully take out the spring assemblies.

Comment

After that, it is just a matter of matching up the O-rings removed with new ones in the seal kit. The tilt rod cap seal was completely shot, so pried it out, cleaned out the groove. There is an inner o-ring seal also. Noticed corrosion in the recess that holds the top wiper seal. Tried to clean it up a bit with some wet-or-dry 600 grit paper and ATF. Five Star sells a new cap with seal separately, but since it came off relatively easily, decided to go ahead and put the new seal in the old cap. Also, noticed some roughness along the upper part of tilt rod. Tried to polish out as much of it as possible, although it appeared like it was chrome plated and had some that had come off.

Comment

Leaking tilt rod seal.
                    IMG_1960.jpg
                    Last edited by MikeyOrange; 02-02-2020, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Cap loosened. Tilt rod assembly rotated down.
                      IMG_1999.jpg

Tilt rod hung from upper shaft in order to loosen nut on bottom.
                      IMG_2002.jpg

Comment

Tilt Rod, ready to remove end nut.
                        IMG_2001.jpg

Tilt Rod, rough spot. IMG_2004.jpg

Tilt cap w/ seal removed-notice rough surface in the recess.
                        IMG_2003.jpg

Comment

Removed trim caps and the rams. Replaced seal and o-ring in cap. On the port ram, be careful when removing the ram/piston as there is a small check valve (1/8 inch dia. x 1/4 inch in length) so keep track of it. Replaced the o-rings. Reassemble as they came out. Also removed the tilt release valve and replace the o-rings on that.

The tools purchased from Five star were indispensable, and overall not too bad of a job, assuming of course that the caps come off without resorting to heat, cold chisels and hammers.
                          The other tool needed was a cir-clip tool, best to get one that has both outside and inside functions as the release valve has an inside clip, while the upper shaft has an outside one.
                          Hope this may assist others. The real question I had at the start of the thread was could the tilt rod be extracted from the tilt cylinder without removing the entire PTT assembly.

Comment

Seal Kit and spanner tools came from Five-Star Marine out of Port Richey, FL
                            https://five-star-marine.myshopify.com

I understand they will also completely rebuild your PTT assembly, just remove it and mail it to them.

Comment

Thanks for the follow up.

Comment

Working...
                              X