1998 DT40 stalling issues and pooling gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT40 stalling issues and pooling gas

I bought a boat last night with a 1998 DT40 on it that has some issues according to the prior owner. The price of the boat/trailer/motor package was good, so I took a shot in the dark on the motor. I've never owned a Suzuki before, having kept to mercs and johnsons. Prior owner says the motor stalls out in idle and has a hard time keeping it running upon startling. He's convinced its the carburetor float sticking in open. When I was inspecting it, I noticed some of the fuel/oil mixture pooled in the lower cowl.

I'm going to get to fixing it tonight. Does anyone have a good instructional on taking the carb off and cleaning/rebuilding it? I would appreciate a link. Hoping the carb is the only issue.. but in my experience, buying a boat is always like buying someone else's problems and I suspect I will find more issues in the next few days.

Again, thank you for the help.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/96...40.html#manual

Bottom right page 1 has a part number for the manual, you will have to cross reference with model year to see if this manual will help. I have downloaded manuals from this website and have had no issues

Comment

Ok, it appears Murray gave you a link for DF40's. You have a 2 stroke motor if it is a DT40. You should have a service manual for this DT40 when you attempt any repairs.

Many parts for these older motors are no longer available, so be extra careful on each part you disconnect, and remove.

First take a few pics to help remember where throttle linkages, electric, fuel, and oil lines connect to the carb(s).

Next, disconnect the main throttle linkage to the carb(s), and any wires (reason for pics), fuel lines, oil lines attached to the carb(s). Then unbolt carb(s) from intake as a unit, remove all carb(s) together as a unit.

Then remove one carb at a time from remaining throttle/choke linkages (do not unscrew, or change any linkages, or change any adjustments on the linkages). Work on one carb at a time, because some of the earlier models had different jets to balance the running of each cylinder from the factory.

You do not need to remove any more of the linkages, butterflies, or the throttle stop screw/idle stop screw.

Check and record the settings of each idle-air-mixture screw for each carb, all of these screws should be set identically per the service manual (any that are different than the manual setting have been tampered with). To check the setting, record the number of turns in, until lightly seated, this is the adjustment, for this carb.

Now you can remove and inspect the fuel float bowl, use clean white rags to catch all the contents from each carb float bowl (The contents and debris can tell a story of how each carb condition is, and if other parts are breaking down before the carb.) Then remove the jets, float assy, needle valve & seat (inspect each of these closely and identify any trash, or blockage).

Once you have removed the jets, float assy, needle valve & seat, idle-air-mixture screw, use compressed air to blow through each little hole and passage while holding a clean white rag around carb to catch what ever blows out. If any trash blows out, try to identify. Then soak carb and bowl and jets in a carb cleaning solution for several good hours.

Once carb has soaked well, repeat the compressed air blow out of all passages and jets. Rebuild carb, adjust float setting on each carb.

Good luck, post back on what you find.

Comment

Sorry, my mistake, wasn’t trying to confuse you. Small print, no glasses...

Comment

Hey all I've got a dt40 2008 two stroke that stalls when in gear I've been told it needs a carburettor tune can any one help with this please

Comment

I would suggest you find a Suzuki genuine service manual, it will have all the information and specifications you will need.

Comment

Dazza71, to start with, we need to find out if you really have a "DT" (2 stroke motor), or if you have a "DF" (4 stroke motor)?

If you aren't sure, please post a "pic" of the serial/model identification plate on the side of your motor.

Almost all the "DT" motors above 20 hp were made before the year 2003, not sure what you have?

Good luck, post back on what you have.

Comment

Working...
              X