Trim n tilt DF175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim n tilt DF175

It seems my binacle trim switch shorted out and damaged trim motor. After replacing trim switch and motor unit is week. It won't trim under power but will while ideling, won't tilt unless in reverse.

Got the manual valve closed?

Comment

Originally posted by bluecrab1112 View Post
      It seems my binacle trim switch shorted out and damaged trim motor. After replacing trim switch and motor unit is week. It won't trim under power but will while ideling, won't tilt unless in reverse.
      If your trim switch shorted it would have either trimmed the motor up till it hit the limit switch, or it would have trimmed down till it bottomed and the trim motor would have kept running,
      if that was the case you would have seen it happening, I cant see that damaging your trim motor unless in happened and was running when you weren't around.
      You need to do some voltage drop testing.
      Your trim switch only has b+ on it, when you press the button it switches b+ to either the up side of the relay or the down side of the relay.

Comment

Yes sir it trimmed down during a storm we were trying to get back to the dock and could not stop to try and fix the problem. This is motor is on my blue crab boat and has over 5000 hours on it. First time I have had problem with trim n tilt.

Comment

Today I had a new problem...while up and running all of a sudden the motor reved up with a loud grinding noise. After stopping and restarting engine I have no propulsion in fwd or rev. Still hear grinding noise when engine is running. After being towed in I checked lower unit grease it is clean and no metal shavings. With motor in hear you can rotate prop and hear water pump impeller turning.

I believe that the drive gears at the top of mid section have stripped or input shaft is broken. Looking for some input will drop lower unit later today.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Just had exact same issue yesterday, what was the result? Any help would be great

Comment

Working...
            X