2004 DF90 - Check Engine Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 DF90 - Check Engine Light

Howdy all - just found the forum and I think it's awesome that there's such a community of helpful folks! Appreciate any tips you can offer.

First time out this year, after my first winter owning a 20 ft Sundance skiff powered by a 2004 Suzuki DF90 4-stroke. The Check Engine light began blinking, and I'm not clear on how to read the code from its behavior and the buzzer.

Here's a link to the video of the flashing and buzzing:
    https://youtu.be/DlBBMkmJaME

Any guidance on how to interpret this would be much appreciated!

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...agnostic-codes

Your constant flashing code is not listed above. How’s your battery, fully charged and in good shape? Oil level where it should be on the dip stick? Have you started the engine with muffs or in the water? Previous maintenance? Did you check wiring for loose corrosion connections? Any mice nest?(chewed wires)
    I’m don’t know what the constant flash means, hence the shotgun approach.

Comment

Could be an oil change reminder but I think that’s a 5 flash pause then 5 flash pause....

Comment

your video was giving you a 2 - 2 error code
        The manual describes this as an "air intake system" error
        could be the throttle position sensor, MAP sensor or IAC valve
        Get a manual and follow the directions
        Art

Comment

Thanks all.

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
          your video was giving you a 2 - 2 error code
          The manual describes this as an "air intake system" error
          could be the throttle position sensor, MAP sensor or IAC valve
          Get a manual and follow the directions
          Art
          I do have a manual but there's no reference to the way to interpret the flashing and buzzing. Am I inferring correctly that I should be listening to the number of buzzes, and if it were a 1-3 (for example), I'd hear one buzz, then three buzzes, then one, then three... etc?
          Last edited by jnewbs; 03-29-2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
            https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...agnostic-codes

Your constant flashing code is not listed above. How’s your battery, fully charged and in good shape? Oil level where it should be on the dip stick? Have you started the engine with muffs or in the water? Previous maintenance? Did you check wiring for loose corrosion connections? Any mice nest?(chewed wires)
            I’m don’t know what the constant flash means, hence the shotgun approach.
            Oil level is good, battery seems to show a good charge and has no problem turning over, and the light came on when I was out on the lake and did not seem to show any performance difference or limitation. No mice

Comment

Start the engine and run it up on the fast idle, connect up a volt meter to the battery, come back on the forum with the result, sounds like high voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                Start the engine and run it up on the fast idle, connect up a volt meter to the battery, come back on the forum with the result, sounds like high voltage.
                The check engine light starts blinking before the motor is on. Voltage before it's on reads as a tick over 12. When idling right at 15.

Comment

Hi all, I have got a 1999 DF70 and I’m getting the 5 flash pause 5 flash pause check engine light constantly on along with a buzz once pause...buzz again once pause constantly. With only Ignition on or running it, it doesn’t matter, it’s constantly on, tested out on the water and found rev limits to 3400rpm. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by jnewbs View Post

The check engine light starts blinking before the motor is on. Voltage before it's on reads as a tick over 12. When idling right at 15.
                    The light will blink with the key on because it still has the code in its memory, 15 volts is right on the upper limit, if you let it run on a fast idle use the warm up leaver, I think that voltage will creep closer to 16 volts.
                    To prove my point if you can put a load on the battery while just idling and bring the voltage under 15 volts the light will go out, then if you turn the engine off, then turn it back on the light will not be blinking
                    until the voltage creeps over the limit of 15.2 volts.

Comment

Got ahold of a nice gentleman that works on Suzuki’s who solved my problem. Side bar, but sure why every dealer or service shop in my area is only working on Yamaha’s and Mercury’s...

Anyway apparently lacking a “service engine” light my boat/motor uses the check engine light to alert you to regular maintenance due. I reset it the same way you’d reset the oil light and all seems to be in working order now. Heavy sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by jnewbs View Post
                        Got ahold of a nice gentleman that works on Suzuki’s who solved my problem. Side bar, but sure why every dealer or service shop in my area is only working on Yamaha’s and Mercury’s...

Anyway apparently lacking a “service engine” light my boat/motor uses the check engine light to alert you to regular maintenance due. I reset it the same way you’d reset the oil light and all seems to be in working order now. Heavy sigh.
                        I seen the different monitor in the video and never took any notice, when you posted you had 15 volts at idle i thought I was on the money, good you got it fixed.

Comment

Working...
                        X