Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF15 gear oil loss

Hello,

Last fall, when I went to drain my 2008 DF15 motor's gear oil, it was mostly water that came out of the drain. I had only run the motor for maybe twelve hours (with no problems) since putting in new gear oil, so I guess I'm lucky there didn't seem to be any damage.

The background is that, a few years ago, I neglected to drain the gear oil before storing the motor one winter. In the spring, a little water in there had frozen and cracked one of the screw mounts for the bulged back rear propeller shaft housing piece - I forget what it's called, the part with the bearings/o-rings that the prop sits behind. I got a new one, and installed it. A friend helped me redrill the bolt holes, and we attached the new housing with aviation thread bolts; it seemed like a very good seal. Everything was tight, as far as I know, including the drain screw. But apparently the oil somehow all ran out anyway, somewhere.

I'm getting ready to put the boat in the water again soon. What can I do about fixing this leak? Since it doesn't seem to be THAT fast, I guess I could watch the level, and refill as needed, but that's not obviously not very safe or convenient.

Thanks.

Best to have the lower unit pressure tested to determine firstly if its holding pressure and secondly to hopefully spot where the leak is.

Comment

Yes, to Moonlighter's suggestion. When running, the gears heat the oil causing pressure to increase, when sitting idle, water cools oil and causes a vacuum. There may be additional cracks in housing around water pump, drive shaft bearing, or shift rod areas that are unseen? A pressure test is the only way to locate all the leaks.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Thanks... I'll get somebody with a pressure tester to help me do the test. Meanwhile I'm going to look for a gearcase seals kit for the motor, and a new drain plug gasket. I can't remember but the last time I looked at the water pump I think one of the gaskets there wasn't in good shape. The river I live on is full of silt and I think those tend to run down quickly here.

Comment

Hello,
          As hard as I search I can't seem to find a seals kit available for DF9.9/15 lower units. Impeller and water pump gasket kits, but not any other seals, like there are for the larger engines. Am I missing them or aren't they needed for these smaller engines? Thanks

Comment

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...0001/gear-case

Looks like one oil seal part #14 and one ORing part #13 if I understand your question correctly.

Comment

Working...
            X