X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 DF-175 valve lash at 2052 hrs.

2012 DF-175 valve lash at 2052 hrs.

IMG_1338.JPG
    Last edited by tsturm; 04-26-2020, 07:26 PM.

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
    2012 DF-175 valve lash at 2052 hrs.

IMG_1338.JPG
    Not bad for 2000 hrs!

Comment

oops FUBARD

Comment

Mmm...not bad..Is this first valve lash check after 2052 hours or you made also 1000 hours check before?
        My DF140A have 1150 hours..and i still not made valve lash check, as suggested from Suzuki manteinance schedule.
        I was thinking to do it at the end of this season,willbe about @1250 hours...
        I m wondering if really need to do valve lash check @1000 hours?! or @1250 or can wait more?

I stay in a small island,i should drive boat for 2 hours,and after put the boat in the trailar and drive car for 8 hours to nearest Suzuki service!
        or do it myself...both solutions very hard to apply.

Comment

I believe I got lucky! First check I would check the valve lash at 200 hrs. as the book says then every 1000. Took me all of 2 hrs. to disassemble & reassemble & order shims. I am going to use it as is until the 2100 hr. oil change & then all will get corrected. Have a good one!!
          Last edited by tsturm; 04-30-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
            I believe I got lucky! First check I would check the valve lash at 200 hrs. as the book says then every 1000. Took me all of 2 hrs. to disassemble & reassemble & order shims. I am going to use it as is until the 2100 hr. oil change & then all will get corrected. Have a good one!!
            I think if you want to stay lucky, change the intake butterfly plates and your balance chain.

Comment

I have a question:How to select new shim?
              In the suzuki DF140A manual they write:
              B: Thickness of original shim (mm)...This means I have to measure shim size with a micrometer? or
              read the code number in the shim to get shim size?

This is the formula:
              Tappet clearance specifications IN/Ex. side: A = B + (C – 0.25 mm)
              A: Correct thickness of shim for proper tappet clearance (mm)
              B: Thickness of original shim (mm)
              C: Original tappet clearance (mm)

And:did you use Suzuki k Special tool (A): 09916–49040 (Tappet holder) (B): 09916–68010 (Tappet holder spacer)?
              or have other tools?

Thank you

Comment

I did buy the "special tool", (DF-175) I pulled it apart measured shim thickness, ordered correct thickness (or as close as you can get) put it back together & ran it until next oil change.

Comment

Today i check my valve lash at 1233 hours for the first time .
                  DF140A have clearance 0.23mm-0.27mm both for Int. and Ex.
                  I think i m still in range...may be i can do cilinder 3 Intake and cilinder 4 exaust...
                  or may be wait and check next 200 hours?

ValvleLash_Ok.jpg

Comment

Looks good until next time & right at spec. on #14

Comment

I not understand,why on #14 clearance is only 0.23 mm..should be more worn-out!?..this means that when engine was new,clearance was probably less...say 0.22mm or 0.21mm!? Tappet shim tend to worn-out with use.Right?...
                      And #6-#10,#11 and#12 are 0.27mm are on upper range limit...next time i should adjusted to 0.23 mm(lower limit) or medium 0.25mm?
                      Is not clear in suzuki work manual.

Thank you

Comment

No you have it backwards, as the seats get beat into the head the clearance decreases so the valve is not on its seat as long causing burnt valves. Loose valves don't burn.(might make a little noise)
                        Have a good one!!

Comment

Ok..now i understand clear.......Thank you very much.

Now my boat is on the trailer...have to make some antifouling...and in this Covid19 time have many free time..
                          so i was thinking to correct #14 ,and may be also #13 and #1 to go to 2000 hours next check.

Comment

Working...
                          X