No announcement yet.

Runs out of gas over 5000 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red that was asked, it is not fly-by-wire.

Good luck Marty. Tell us what suzuki mechanic finds.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty D View Post
      Just to clear this up. No. eng does not shut off when that happens. It goes into a idle. It always stays running. The reason I use the word dies. That what it sounds like. It's sounds like you turned the key off. I had eng run out of gas at 30 mph and the motor will make high and low rev sounds. As soon as this happens I can do a hole shot and do 5000 rpm again within sec.
      Thank you for clearing that up, Marty. Now it does not sound like anything to do with a problem in the fuel delivery.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Low oil pressure will cause the engine RPM to drop to 1000 RPM, very close to idle. The other fail-safe modes (over-rev and high temp) only drop the RPM to 3000. No idea why a low oil pressure signal would only manifest itself above 5000 RPM, but it might be something to consider, even though there's no warning light, and even if you still think it's "running out of gas." I don't think you could do an immediate hole shot if it really ran out of gas. It would need more time to recover. But let's see what the mechanics find.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I still suspect a fuel-related problem . Try to run the engine (WOT) with the tank-cap removed . --- Should the vent (in the cap) be partially clogged (restricted) it may allow enough fuel to (to the engine) to operate at moderately high rpm BUT not wide open . --- Is the inside-diameter of the fuel-line large-enough ? --- In other words : The engine may be "starving" because of a slight vacuum developing (in the tank) . --- I experienced a "similar" problem (years ago) with a motorcycle . --- *** --- As soon as an adequate fuel-supply is available the engine will behave "normal" again (without cutting out) . --- Let us know when and how the dilemma was resolved . --- Good luck ! 1 1 1

Comment

Originally posted by 38 Angler View Post
            --- I experienced a "similar" problem (years ago) with a motorcycle . ---
            Somehow I doubt that your motorcycle had dual fuel pumps and a VST, and depending on how far back "years ago" was, maybe not even fuel injection. But it will be interesting to finally know the cause and the solution.
            Last edited by Harper; 10-30-2016, 05:34 PM.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Boat and motor still at the Suzuki repairs shop.

Comment

Let start by telling you I ran a clean 6 gall gas tank to the motor, by passing everything. Motor still will not run over 5000 rpm. I took it to a Suzuki dealer last week. After two days there, they told me it's the 10 micron filter and housing. They replace it. $125. They said it's still ng. They replaced the gas squeeze ball. Still ng. Check the gas vent. Check and replace the main gas hose from tank to 10 micron filter. Still ng. Now my bill is $400 and still ng. Yesterday they said they are going to replace the S valve at the gas tank. Still ng. Bill is now $500. They said they are pulling the pick up in gas tank. They call and said that was ok. Now they said it's the filters in the motor but can not warranty it because they got crap in them from somewhere. Somewhere ??? I told them it was the filters from day one. Why they looked everywhere but the motor? Don't know what my bill is yet. If I didn't call them today and say, Stop the job if you pull the pick up and tell me it's my gas tank is bad. Tomorrow I may get my boat back. Why I have to pay all this money when it was the motor? Funny thing is. My friend who works for Suzuki Delaware down south, told me step by step how this was going to play out. He nailed it!!!! If this is how Suzuki plays with there customers with there 6 year warranty, I'm in big trouble. This motor only has 120 hours - its 2016.

Comment

Sounds like you got it stuck where the sun doesnt shine. I would think everything would be warrantied. You need to find a different dealer.

Comment

Not many dealers here. Tomorrow I will post the bill. How can they say motor was ok and now it's the filters in motor and not warranty because they got contaminated. But never found any contamination in gas lines or tank? I was told all this two weeks ago from a Suzuki mechanic. He said this is how Suzuki can give you a 6 year warranty. I'm not saying they will not warranty other problems. I should of just r&r all the filter in the motor my self. If I didn't call them this morn and say, stop the job if the gas tank is rusty, would of they try to sell me a new gas tank? I had that gas tank check when new motor was put on last Sumer. Again checked last month when we replaced the gas sending unit. I am now up to $1500 in this new motor. The dealer ask me what did I pay for this new motor installed? I paid $17500. He said they charge $24,000 because when he does it they replace all the gas hoses and my dealer didn't. Then he said - your paying for it now. I should of ran then. If this is the end of my troubles, I will be happy. But if this continues. Early spring it was the water pump then the stalling when putting in gear and now this.

Comment

Classic example of not checking some of the obvious problem areas before you start replacing parts that were not broken to start with
                      Harper mentioned on his first comment about checking the VST
                      Solarman mentioned the VST in his first post
                      Seems you could have saved some money if you had checked these yourself instead of complaining
                      And it wasn't the engine...the filters are there to protect the engine and they were doing their job
                      If you are not inclined to do simple mechanical things then as suggested get a real mechanic
                      Too many dealerships are there to sell engines and mechanics are not knowledgeable on really fixing problems

Comment

Marty, I understand your anger.

It is time to sit down with the repairing dealer's senior manager and explain to them that you don't pay for them to throw parts ta a problem, you pay for people to use professional knowledge, experience and expertise to diagnose and SOLVE problems.

I would be approaching this in a calm and firm way with them, and stay the ground. Explain that you could have done all that stuff yourself but you engaged them as professionals to figure out the problem and sort it out. I would be expecting and negotiating a substantial reduction based on that line of argument.

As the other guys have mentioned, VST blockage issues SHOULD have been high on their list of likely culprits. And, because that is due to dirty fuel, it will never be a warranty issue. Do bear that in mind, and try to be and show yourself to be reasonable.

The best advice at this stage is to stay calm and rational. Giving them a blast will not get you far.
                        Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-03-2016, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                          Classic example of not checking some of the obvious problem areas before you start replacing parts that were not broken to start with
                          Harper mentioned on his first comment about checking the VST
                          Solarman mentioned the VST in his first post
                          Seems you could have saved some money if you had checked these yourself instead of complaining
                          And it wasn't the engine...the filters are there to protect the engine and they were doing their job
                          If you are not inclined to do simple mechanical things then as suggested get a real mechanic
                          Too many dealerships are there to sell engines and mechanics are not knowledgeable on really fixing problems
                          I did check all the things that could be wrong on the boat side. I told them I did. I know the guys here said check VST but when the motor is under warranty with 120 hours don't you think a Suzuki mech should fix it? If this is how Suzuki does things you can be dam sure I will buy a service book and learn more about this motor. This place is a Suzuki repair shop. I didn't see any new motors there. I went to right place. I sold my old motor with 3000 trouble free hour only to buy a new motor hoping to get the same or close. As I am disable with metal rods in my wrist and lower back. To do any work, is very hard me.
                          Last edited by Marty D; 11-03-2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

It certainly sounds like supply is in not keeping up too demand, I would have thought with the information he gave the dealer they would have checked from the engine low pressure pump to the vst and out of the high pressure fuel filter, and checked fuel pressure and flow. One would think with 130 hours on the clock there would not be a problem with any of the filters or the pumps.

The first thing I would have done would be checking fuel pressure and flow, and the duty cycle on the high pressure pump, it could be as simple as the pressure reg dumping fuel at 15 psi instead of 36 psi, or duty cycle on 20% instead of 100%.

You could disconnect the hose off the end of the high pressure fuel filter and connect up a long bit of hose and turn the key on and off to keep the supply running and you will see if the supply is no good.

Comment

I want to thank you all for good info. I picked up the boat and after all the replacements of parts on boat side, it was the filters on the motor. Why they had to replace $400 in parts when i ran a 6 gall tank to the motor and it still had the problem. . Like someone said, it's a short season for the boat dealers. Maybe they need to double up??? The bill was going to be more but I open the pie plate and saw the Pick up in gas tank was never look at. You can see the T vale was untouched. When I told that to the Suzuki mechanic he said bla bla bla -yes your right. Hmmmm. A reg customer would of not known and paid the extra money. Bottom line - motor runs great. When this motor run good, she is quiet- smooth and powerful. If I do have more problems, I hope I can come here and learn. I will be doing the repairs. Thanks I'm sorry if some of you don't like what you read, I speak the truth.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Marty D; 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X