Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need rigging Advice

Hi folks,
    This is my first time on this Forum. I'm just repowering with a DF115 (on back order) on my Midland 19'. It's rated for 140 hp but I currently have a 1989 Johnson 70 hp on it. I've spent a lot of time around boats and outboards but never a Suzuki. I'm on a pension and I'd like to save some money and rig the 115 myself. I have the time and some experience and a huge inherited tool set from my brother in law who was a Hyster mechanic. Can I rig with a used harness and gauges or do I have top go new? I used to work for a Yamaha dealership as a yard monkey and was astonished at dealer markup for rigging and gauges. If going with recycled rigging what is adequate. 10 years, 5 years, 2 years ? I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but if I sit in front of a wall long enough I can see the guy on the other side. Please advise.

My advice is NOT to cheap out with used harness and gauges.

why?

Because modern efi engines are VERY sensitive to voltage issues. If they dont get good voltage and amperage to the ECM they will not run properly, or at all.

We see so many issues here on this forum that turn out to be due to poor installations, bad or damaged harnesses, corrosion in harness wiring and so on. It is truly not worth the grief that it will almost certainly cause to use an old harness with that new engine.

As to gauges, if going with analogue, you really need to use the Suzuki factory gauges that have the warning lights along the bottom of the tacho. They will flash in sequence when there are faults and this is important to allow diagnosis of the fault, they also are used to give service reminders.

All in, these engines are light years different to the old Johnson 2 stroke you are replacing. 1970’s technology vs current year. Wire up an old 1970’s car is easy. Wire up a 2020 car? No way you would attempt that. Can bus systems, ECM’s, electronic fuel pumps and the like need things dine right.

Comment

So would your advice be to have a dealer installation for around $2000. If I pro-rate that over the life of the new 6 year warranty it's only 275 a year for smooth sailing. That's what the wife want's me to do and if she's happy, everyone's happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Doyle View Post
        So would your advice be to have a dealer installation for around $2000. If I pro-rate that over the life of the new 6 year warranty it's only 275 a year for smooth sailing. That's what the wife want's me to do and if she's happy, everyone's happy.
        My limited value advice wood be, Buy all new Motor, control, harness, gages & install my self its all plug& play

Comment

Get all new harnesses, gauges and cables, you can install yourself if you have some ability.

Make sure your battery meets specs as per the owners manual.

Comment

Controls? Dealer wants $500+. Can get matching generic binnacle controls for $160 on eBay.

Comment

My DF115 has been on back order for a month. Does this usually happen in the summer? I feel like I'm going to miss the season.

Comment

People escaping from Covid, seems like most outdoor gear is in short supply.

Comment

Working...
                X