Ticking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticking sound

Hi folks,I own a 2012 DF 175.i noticed lately a ticking sound when at idle.i check the oil and it was down 3/4qt.added oil,same ticking sound.the motors runs great.i took it down to the dealer.i found out the engine has 410 hr.s.the mechanic called Suzuki to see if their we're any common things he should look for.they said no.oh,he checked the compression,he said it was within spec.s.he called to tell me he wanted to pull the powerhead to see what's the issue,I said yes.i mentioned the timing chain,and there a a tensioning chain.he said he would check that,but,said the sound sounded like it was coming from another area,I forget weather it was the front or the back.does anyone have any input?thank you. Marc

Pulling down the powerhead to investigate a ticking sound seems a bit extreme!

But we cant hear the ticking sound of course .....

Could be as simple as checking the valve clearances, has that been done? Should have been done at 200hrs if I recall the service schedule correctly.

Comment

No sure,I will ask them.

Comment

Hi folks,just got some bad new.tech.called Suzuki and described the problem/noise.they said it was the balancers.parts alone is 750.00 not sure about labor,could be a couple grand.suzuki said that year and previous had some issues.i was curious if there was a recall?I'm assuming they(dealer)would have mentioned it.

Comment

Look up your motor on the “But Suzuki Parts” link in the blue header near top of this forum. See if you can find the parts involved there. And prices.

Do a search on this forum for similar issues. Off the top, I cannot recall another similar issue being raised.

Are you saying that based only on your description of the noise, and without seeing the motor and listening to it and checking anything, the Suzuki mechanic has made a diagnosis ????

Sounds very questionable to me if that is the case!!

Comment

What are the Balancers ?

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
              What are the Balancers ?
              Yeah, I’d like to know that too.

Comment

MTgzNzM0-40063e90.png
                Originally posted by marcus270 View Post
                Hi folks,just got some bad new.tech.called Suzuki and described the problem/noise.they said it was the balancers.parts alone is 750.00 not sure about labor,could be a couple grand.suzuki said that year and previous had some issues.i was curious if there was a recall?I'm assuming they(dealer)would have mentioned it.
                My 2012 DF175 has 2120 hrs. on it now with zero problems, balance shafts & chain might make a little noise at idle when cold so be it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Are they referring to the cam shafts, so they mean there is tappet noise! $750 in shims? someone is being bent over

Comment

No, a lot of engines have balance shafts, they help reduce engine vibration and they have to be timed, as I said in another post some of the df175 engines were duds, tsturm is playing with fire with his 2000 hours no balance chain or manifold butterfly replacement.

Comment

Working...
                    X