Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermitent Starting Problem 2004 Suzuki 225 Four Stroke - Check Engine Light On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermitent Starting Problem 2004 Suzuki 225 Four Stroke - Check Engine Light On

I have occasionally had my 2004 Suzuki 225 four stroke refuse to start. The starter motor turns the engine over fine but it will not fire and start. Whenever this happens the "Check Engine" light is on. Then without doing anything the next day I will turn the ignition on, no "Check Engine" light and it starts right up.

I have the "white wire" or whatever its called, the wire that goes to the control module, the wire that is supposed to be installed straight to the battery, connected straight to the battery properly.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Loose or degraded electrical connection somewhere? What can I do to try and track down this problem and fix it?

Originally posted by Frisbeeman View Post
    I have occasionally had my 2004 Suzuki 225 four stroke refuse to start. The starter motor turns the engine over fine but it will not fire and start. Whenever this happens the "Check Engine" light is on. Then without doing anything the next day I will turn the ignition on, no "Check Engine" light and it starts right up.

I have the "white wire" or whatever its called, the wire that goes to the control module, the wire that is supposed to be installed straight to the battery, connected straight to the battery properly.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Loose or degraded electrical connection somewhere? What can I do to try and track down this problem and fix it?
    ''''''Do you start the engine on one battery or both, if you only start it on one, it may be just a bit of voltage drop, my guess is the low voltage warning has come on and when you cranked the engine the voltage went below nine volts and the stepper motor lost the number of steps that it should have retracted to bypass air for starting. The engines ecu don't like low battery voltage, connect up volt meter and connect it to your battery and check the voltage when you crank the engine. The reason I think the light don't come all the time is some times when you crank it, the voltage doe's not drop below the thresh hold to turn the light on. try leaving the batteries on a trickle charge and start on both and see what happens.

Comment

I doubt very much its a low voltage issue. Both my batteries are new large deep cycle batteries. The last time this happened I had fished all day with a lot of trolling, came back to port 30 miles at about 25 mph, turned the engine off at the dock to get the truck and trailer and backed the trailer in the water. Tried to start the engine, check engine light on and it will not start. But the starter motor was turning the engine over quickly and vigorously. The battery charged all day and the over 1 hour ride back to port.

Plus without out charging the battery in the meantime, the next day, no check engine light and it started right up.

I am absolutely certain it is not a low voltage issue.

Comment

I fought a similar problem on a 2002 DF140 - for almost two years. After replacing many sensors, switches, etc., I found that on the engine harness that a couple wires that provide power and ground to the ECG had corroded inside the wire insulation. The connectors all looked great but the wire was failing and there was no external evidence.

Another member here suggested that I bend and 'feel' the wires and see if any of them felt 'crunchy'. While not simple or obvious, I finally found the wires and after cutting the insulation away I could see the corrosion.

It would make intermittent contact so it would work sometimes and not others. It was not fun, but I ended up replacing the engine wire harness and all is good now.

Comment

I doubt very much its a low voltage issue. Both my batteries are new large deep cycle batteries. The last time this happened I had fished all day with a lot of trolling, came back to port 30 miles at about 25 mph, turned the engine off at the dock to get the truck and trailer and backed the trailer in the water. Tried to start the engine, check engine light on and it will not start. But the starter motor was turning the engine over quickly and vigorously. The battery charged all day and the over 1 hour ride back to port.

Plus without out charging the battery in the meantime, the next day, no check engine light and it started right up.

I am absolutely certain it is not a low voltage issue.
          ''''You should have put that information in your first post, I should have asked yesterday weather the check engine light came on when you turned the key to the on position, or when you were cranking, plus did it flash a code, or just stayed on.

Comment

When it happens the check engine light comes on right away when I turn the ignition on, not during starting.

In answer to the poster 2 posts back, thank you for that info. My entire wiring harness was replaced 2 years ago because of severe corrosion.

Comment

If you run diagnostics on the motor, wouldn't that possibly show what is setting off the check engine light (intermittent sensor/wire connection, or something triggering the light)? A number of error codes causing the light, could help identify what is going on?

Just thoughts? Good luck.

Comment

When it happens the check engine light comes on right away when I turn the ignition on, not during starting.

In answer to the poster 2 posts back, thank you for that info. My entire wiring harness was replaced 2 years ago because of severe corrosion.
                ''''' You still haven't said whether it flashed a code or just stayed on.

Comment

Oh sorry. When the problem occurs the check engine light just stays on until I turn the key off. I don't know if the "check engine" light stays on when the starter motor is turning over and I can't try it now because the problem is not present, but periodically does occur.

When you ask whether it "flashed a code" I don't know what you mean. How does it flash a code? The flashing of codes may not apply to my engine. I should explain that its a Suzuki 225 powerhead just like the outboards sold with the Suzuki logos and decals. However my engine was sold to the consumer from Bombadier and has Johnson logos and decals. I uploaded a picture. It has an adapter that makes it work with OMC and Bombadier throttle and shift controls and gauges / instruments. Its definitely a Suzuki powerhead and whenever I buy an oil filter, fuel pump, whatever I buy Suzuki parts and they go right on. But if Suzuki engines have the ability to flash a code, I doubt my engine can. I wouldn't know where to look, but my dashboard doesn't not have any sort of readout like that. They are OMC gauges.

So I don't know if that helps you help me, but I will gladly answer any other questions.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Maybe put up a pic of your gauges so we can see what youve got.

You mnetioned a check engine light comes on?

Suzuki White Tachometer w/Monitor 34200-93J12

See above link to pic of the common Suzuki "deluxe" analogue tacho - see it has 4 warning lights? One is the check engine light.

The light flashes in a sequence eg might do 3 short blinks, pause, then 1. Then repeats. These are fault codes and tell you what fault is happening to aid problem diagnosis. That is what red is talking about.

Does your check engine light do anything like that?

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. In the Suzuki tachometer with monitor link you sent the gauge has 4 warning lights, from left to right - Check Engine, Temp, Oil and Rev. My lights, from top to bottom are - No Oil, Water Temp, Check Engine and Low Oil. Dashboard photos with ignition off and just after turning ignition on are enclosed.

When operating normally, when I turn the ignition on there is a single beep then all 4 lights come on then go out one at a time from top to bottom, then I start it.

When the problem is occurring I turn the ignition on there is a single beep then all 4 lights come on then go out one at a time from top to bottom, all lights are out for a brief instant, then the check engine light comes on and stays on until I turn the ignition off. The starter motor will turn the engine over but it won't start. But then a few days later it might have fixed itself and no check engine light and the engine starts.

What Redlowrey and Moonlighter wrote made me look at my service manual and now I know what you are talking about. There is a table of 22 failed item conditions each with a particular lamp flashing pattern. But in my case it doesn't pulse any sort of flashing pattern. The check engine light just comes on and stays on.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for everyone's help
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X