Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low oil pressure light randomly turns on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low oil pressure light randomly turns on.

Hello everyone

I was out fishing, dumped the boat in the lake, engine started up from cold just fine. I let it warm up, and went to my fishing spot. No problems. I shut it off at the fishing spot, and fished for like a couple of hours. I only got one (it was a big one tho) so I decided to move to another spot (what else should I do). I started it up, and a few seconds later I got one beep and a low oil pressure light. I didn't want to eat a rod bearing or piston for lunch so I turned it off right away. Sounded absolutely normal when the oil pressure light came on. Anyways, I went ahead and let it sit for a minute or so (thought maybe there was an air bubble somewhere?) and checked the oil level. Amber colour oil, right in between the two marks. Well, I was pretty far away from my car, so I decided to give it another shot. Started up fine and no oil pressure light. Several trouble less trips later, this repeated itself. So what is wrong here? Maybe it is because my engine is trimmed in too much? Also I heard of engines making oil. Is mine prone to this, and how would I go about fixing it if it happened? Compression is 175 on all cyl's. 460 hours. sds did not show any active faults.

thanks

Year and HP?

Comment

2008 df200

Comment

remove oil sender "T" in a gage and see if the OP is low or sender in NFG?

Comment

If your oil pressure is low then you should be getting a warning all the time and the engine should shut down or at the very least go into safe mode. I do like tsturm’ idea. Check oil pressure for piece of mind and also the sending unit. These intermittent issues often are caused by faulty wiring, your engine is in the age group where wiring might be starting to deteriorate.

Comment

roger, will do in the spring once all the snow is gone!

Comment

Forgot to mention, weak battery has been known to give false alarms.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
                Forgot to mention, weak battery has been known to give false alarms.
                Aha! that might be the problem. What size battery do you recommend for that engine?

Comment

It would depend on your engine specifications and any electronics you would be running. Someone with a larger HP will chime in I’m sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X