2005 DF140 on an 1801 Parker looking for prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 DF140 on an 1801 Parker looking for prop

Looking for someone with the same setup as mine? Looking for new prop on my 2005 DF140 with 2.381 gears. On an 1801 Parker. Currently running aluminum 3x14x17 that is pretty beat up! My engine is being raised 2 holes this weekend as it is too low. I can hit 6000 rpm but only getting about 30 mph. This boat is new to me but I feel I should easily get 35ish. Climbs out of the hole OK, not great but OK. Taking it out tomorrow to get rpm's and speed at every 500 rpm's. I will then have something to compare to this weekend after raising motor. Just looking to see if anyone else has this same setup and what prop you have with what results? Thanks for reading and any input;]

Thanks to the Moderators for heading me in the right direction to get this posted;]

Comment

Originally posted by Makida123 View Post
      Looking for someone with the same setup as mine? Looking for new prop on my 2005 DF140 with 2.381 gears. On an 1801 Parker. Currently running aluminum 3x14x17 that is pretty beat up! My engine is being raised 2 holes this weekend as it is too low. I can hit 6000 rpm but only getting about 30 mph. This boat is new to me but I feel I should easily get 35ish. Climbs out of the hole OK, not great but OK. Taking it out tomorrow to get rpm's and speed at every 500 rpm's. I will then have something to compare to this weekend after raising motor. Just looking to see if anyone else has this same setup and what prop you have with what results? Thanks for reading and any input;]
      If your prop is dicked up you can't use any of the data your going out to get it will be dicked up also. If the prop you have on there was new or not dicked up you would probably make more mph?

Comment

Agree but prop is not completely trashed or I would not be able to get the rpm and speed I’m getting. I am looking for a comparison before and after raising motor and the only way to do this is using the same prop. My reason for this post is to find someone with the same boat/motor and hear their pros and cons with their props

Comment

*** the response is overwhelming! Really, not a single Suzuki 140 on a Parker out there??? I know Parkers come with Yammies but nobody?

Comment

Its not a huge forum, and you have a very specific boat/motor combo that will not be at all common.

And there is also the fact that Suzuki changed gearbox ratios on the 140’s in about 2008, so yours with the old ratio, is going to need a different prop compared to all the newer 140’s.

You will be better off going to a Parker forum (if it exists) and pose the question there.

Comment

Thanks moonlighter. Agree the gear ratio changes the pitch down a notch, I already compensated for that. Understand about it not being a huge forum but you guys are right on with all the great info. Thanks again for the support and the reply. Just lifted the motor to the right height. Now to figure out the right prop;]

Comment

Moonlighter, I have exhausted my attempts to reach 6200 rpm. I have raised motor 2 times having to patch and re drill transom. Cav plate still not planing above the water. Installed a T&H fixed jack plate (more holes). Ran it yesterday (have specs for all engine raising data at each lift, not a big change in numbers from original engine height to 4" lift!). Was able to reach 5200rpm at first attempt, 5400 next, 5600 now. Bottom of cav plate 3" ABOVE keel on trailer with a level. I have pics but not sure how to post for you? I can reach 6200 using trim plates and motor trim right before it cavitates. Definitely not a safe running trim. The cav plate is still not planing correctly and unable to go any higher due to water intakes being out of the water as well as my steering cable is completely compromised with the 4" jack plate set off from transom. My other scary issue is having the engine that high with the jack plate. When I hit reverse to clear prop or just reverse, I flood my boat in seconds!!! Taking boat off trailer I payed no attention and did my normal routine , I was all of a sudden standing in 3" of water at the helm. Water was streaming over the transom!!! Had I continued in reverse I would have gone down... Luckily I ran forward on the the trailer and let it drain. So this raising engine to get cav plate to plain above the water has only backfired on me. I am suspect that my throttle linkage is not set correctly as well. Watching as I give it throttle I notice that when it should be engaged there is a delay? Also at WOT you can push the cam 1/4" further? Is that adjustable or a safety/governor feature? I think I am close enough to my goals of 6200 to warrant purchasing a new prop. I currently run a 3x14x17 aluminum ( beat up a bit) I was leaning at a 14x15 to get my rpm's up but think I'll stay with a 14x17 3 bladed SS Solas HR Titan3. What are your thoughts? Can that throttle linkage be tightened to get me full WOT? Thanks for the help. Frustrated Found photo download;]
                Attached Files

Comment

A beat up old alloy prop is certainly not going to help.

The rest of the issues - I really recommend you get someone with Suzuki setup and prop expertise locally to review the current setup and seek their assistance. There is nothing like being there, in person, to get a proper sense of the whole situation and the best approach to solve the issues.

Best wishes.

Comment

Got it. Thanks but our Suzuki dealers here are multi purpose sport shops. Mainly deal with motorcycles and are clueless! I'll keep going til I get it right.

Comment

Figured I'd post this again for any comments.
                      OK in a nut shell. I reached 6200 rpm and 31.5 mph last week with engine set way high, 3" above keel. I even had all the drag from the fairing/transducer but motor was way too high and cavitating. So I removed (broken and cracked) fairing/transducer and glassed over the hole. Lowered motor to about 3/4" above keel. Ran motor today and achieved 5800 rpm and 31.5 mph with old beat up aluminum 14x17 prop. I then put on my new Solas HR Titan 3x14x17 SS prop. Reached 5600 rpm and 33.8 mph. Go figure??? Max rpm dropped dropped 200 but speed up almost 2 mpg. My hole shot is not good either. Idle to 4500 rpm is about 9 seconds 19.8 mph. 5000 rpm is 14.5 seconds at 27.4 mph. I'm running NO gear, two guys and half tank of fuel. I know, drop pitch to 15... I also think my throttle linkage is set wrong. There is 1/4" free play when throttle actually engages. Wondering if I'm loosing 1/4" at WOT and also climbing out of the hole it is not engaging but actually a slight delay? Any ideas??? This is an 1801 CC Parker with a 2005 Suzuki DF140 with 2.381 gears. Thanks again for any thoughts.

Comment

Where is the cavitation plate now when running at decent cruise speed? You need to know that.

I would have left the motor high and run the new stainless. They grip much better than a good alloy prop, and miles better than a beat up one.

Comment

Cav plate is just above water. The reason I kept going higher and higher and eventually installing a manual jack plate was because the water coming off the transom fairing was not allowing me to see the cav plate skimming above the water! Would really liked to have gotten a 4 blade SS prop but only found the cheap aluminum ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X