No announcement yet.

Suzuki to Lowrance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. That is how my boat is done - analogue gauges plus digital data that is displayed on both my Lowrance and Simrad displays.

The SDS adapter cable plugs into the SDS plug on the engine. The interface cable then connects to the other end. Which then connects to a network T piece. As I think I noted in the paper, i recommend extending the length of the SDS cable so it is long enough to go from the engine, back thru the rigging tube into the boat, and up to the dash. The interface can then be connected up there where its clean, dry and cool. Keeps the sensitive interface cable nice and safe.

Since you have the anaolgue gauges, they (the tacho) has the warning lights that will flash the engine fault codes and service reminders.

So you dont actually gain much by using the Connect interface cable - you could just use the standard version 3.5.04 interface cable and save some money. So its a judgement call as to whether its worth the extra $ to get the fault codes onto the Lowrance display as well. Its up to you to decide if that is worth the extra cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      Yes. That is how my boat is done - analogue gauges plus digital data that is displayed on both my Lowrance and Simrad displays.

The SDS adapter cable plugs into the SDS plug on the engine. The interface cable then connects to the other end. Which then connects to a network T piece. As I think I noted in the paper, i recommend extending the length of the SDS cable so it is long enough to go from the engine, back thru the rigging tube into the boat, and up to the dash. The interface can then be connected up there where its clean, dry and cool. Keeps the sensitive interface cable nice and safe.

Since you have the anaolgue gauges, they (the tacho) has the warning lights that will flash the engine fault codes and service reminders.

So you dont actually gain much by using the Connect interface cable - you could just use the standard version 3.5.04 interface cable and save some money. So its a judgement call as to whether its worth the extra $ to get the fault codes onto the Lowrance display as well. Its up to you to decide if that is worth the extra cost.
      The Analogue gauges are from the boat manufacturer and not Suzuki so there are no warning lights. That's why this cable interests me so much. Thanks for the clarification! I also completely agree with the wiring extension idea and to have the expensive stuff safe up front.

Comment

Do you happen to know if the Lowrance unit's will control or show the Troll mode info? I couldn't find an answer on this one. I see it will work with Mercury Troll systems just no word on the Suzuki variant.

Comment

Originally posted by Handsomerob1980 View Post

Do you happen to know if the Lowrance unit's will control or show the Troll mode info? I couldn't find an answer on this one. I see it will work with Mercury Troll systems just no word on the Suzuki variant.
          Good question.

No, I dont know.

Please let us know when you get it all set up.

Comment

Hey Moonlighter, I have a dumb question. Is this where I would plug in the Interface cable? Seems like the only plug under the cowling.

Plug.jpg

Comment

See the 4 pin plug just to the right of the one you arrowed that is connected M to F? The SDS plug is the same as that one

Comment

See the 4 pin plug just to the right of the one you arrowed that is connected M to F? The SDS plug is the same as that one
                I didn't see any other plugs, aside from this one with the rubber cover. Is there a common spot that it may be tucked?

This is the one in the back ground of the first pic.

other plug.jpg

Comment

It will be there, they sometimes fall down below that area into the pan, can be very hard to spot them at times.

Just need to look harder and find it.

Its the same as the small plug (left hand side) in that connector. They have to be the same, because that plug in your last photo is the ecu connection to the main harness that goes to the control box and then in to the dash. If you werent keeping analogue gauges, you would simply unplug that connection, and plug in the SDS plug that you are looking for.

Unless of course someone has done some weird plug changing there .....

Comment

Well, ran into a different issue, I have two lowrance Elite 7 ti2 units networked on the NMEA 2000, a Motorguide Xi5, and the Suzuki Engine interface cable. I was able to see everything, was just sitting in the boat going through all the settings etc. and figured I would switch my lowrance over to my home wifi and check for updates when I did this it said something about having to disconnect the suzuki interface so I agreed as I figured once it was done it would reconnect however it did not. I turned off all my units, Key off, network / lowrance units off, motorguide off. turned them all back on and still no Suzuki interface. There has to be something I'm missing. The units didn't even do an update. everything was up to date. I feel it must be something simple. Looking for help.

Comment

Whenever doing software updates to Lowrance units it is best to disconnect them from the network. Now you know why!

I would say that network data sources may have been lost.

Turn ALL networked devices on. This is very important. VERY.

Then turn the Suzuki key on where it beeps.

In Lowrance menu, go to settings/network/ then pick the option to auto configure. Follow the prompts from there, and yes despite the scary sounding warning, you do want to do this.

Then check for engine data again.

If it works make a note of this procedure as it often fixes mysterious data missing problems.

Comment

Problem solved, one T of the NMEA backbone wasn't fully seated, an oversight by me when I ran the backbone extension to the bow for the Xi5 interface.

All Network devices working correctly now.

Thanks!

Comment

I would like to clarify what is needed for my boat (Larson FX1850): 2018 Suzuki DF200, connected to analog gauges. I am running Lowrance HDS7 Carbon and HDS7 G3 networked with NMEA2000 as well as ethernet. I would like to use the Lowrance to monitor engine performance, primarily fuel consumption. I am confused on which cable i need, I would like to keep my analog gauges operational as well. From what i can tell, there are two cables that I could use:
                          1. Suzuki SUZ 990C0 88149 350 SMIS Engine Interface Cable (V3.5) 96.45 from international marine
                          2. 990C0-88170 Engine Connect Cable 177.00 from precision marine

I was also told that i would also need a NMEA2000 extension cable

If I am reading things correctly, one of these cables will provide engine codes, and one will not? If i purchase the more expensive cable that will give me codes, will i still be able to use my analog gauges? I am looking for some simple instructions on how to proceed and get this done.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

The Connect cable sends all fault codes and service reminders to Lowrance displays on the network. The normal Version 3.5…. Cable doesnt. Thats the only difference. The latest 3.5 cable is 3.5.7, thats the one to get if you go that way.

Since you already have the analogue gauges you already get the service and fault codes on the tach lights so its a judgement call whether you want to spend the extra $ on the Connect interface cable to also get them onto the Lowrances.

You will need whichever interface cable you decide on, plus the SDS adapter cable part number 990C0-88136. Connect the adapter cable to the SDS plug on the engine, and connect the interface cable to the other end. The interface then connects to a additional T on the NMEA2000 network.

Regarding the adapter cable, I always recommend extending it so its long enough to run from the engine, back thru the rigging tube and up to the dash. Then connect the interface to it there. This keeps the sensitive interface cable up behind the dash where its cool, dry snd clean. Just cut the cable in half and solder (and heat shrink) in an extension using triple core cable of a similar gauge, nothing special is needed.

Using the SDS adapter cable means that the analogue gauges keep working.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Question, my dealer had a 3.5.4 interface cable. I hooked it up, and it seems to work, however my engine is a 2018, and in the configuration screen, it will only let me choose up to a 2015. Do i need to updated to the 3.5.7 to be able to see a 2018? I searched for an update when my HDS was connected to the internet, but it said update info not available. Do i download the most recent update at lowrance.com/suzuki or is there another place to get it? Any suggestions on getting the adapter cable through the rigging tube??

Comment

Originally posted by mndfuller View Post
                                Thanks for the info. Question, my dealer had a 3.5.4 interface cable. I hooked it up, and it seems to work, however my engine is a 2018, and in the configuration screen, it will only let me choose up to a 2015. Do i need to updated to the 3.5.7 to be able to see a 2018? I searched for an update when my HDS was connected to the internet, but it said update info not available. Do i download the most recent update at lowrance.com/suzuki or is there another place to get it? Any suggestions on getting the adapter cable through the rigging tube??
                                3.5.4 will be fine. I havent been able to source 3.5.7 yet, it was on the Lowrance software updates but its gone now.

Every version after 2.3 automatically detects the engine year and hp (it sets them at the engine family level) and you cant change them. So dont try!

The only thing you need to set on the config page is the engine location. For single engines use the dropdown box to set location as centre. Done.

As to getting the adapter cable thru - if you follow my recommendation and solder in an extension, leave the plug off the end you pull thru. Tape the cable to an electricians “snake” and use that to pull it thru. A little silicon spray on the tapes up end helps too.

Comment

Working...
                                X