DF70 blowing out oil filter o ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF70 blowing out oil filter o ring

Hello, got a boat with twin 2000 df70's on it. Has been sitting on a lift for 6-7 years. Former owner did them no favors. Left fuel in tanks and never ran engine dry. So, new filters, fuel pump and plugs and sea foam engine will start right up. Will idle for a minute then die. Not too concerned about that, alot of stuff to get cleaned up. Problem is when i throttle up to say 1800-2000 rpms oil filter 'O' ring blows out. Happened twice.
    Any ideas about next step or what the causation is?
    Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
    Jbhl4

oil filter 'O' ring blows out.
    The thick, flat rubber seal on the top of the oil filter sealing between the oil filter end the engine block?

Chris

Comment

Yes, the seal on the face of the filter, looks like it's pressed into filter. Gets blown out of can then oil gets pushed past it.

Comment

First question - this is happening to new Suzuki oil filters? And with proper tightening with a proper fitting filter that would seem pretty hard to blow by
        If those are not the problem the next step I can think of might be checking the crank case venting and compression leak down
        There have been reports of some users having problems with less expensive auto oil filters

Comment

Brand new Suzuki oil filters, armstrong tight. I was warming it up with the filter that was on all that time just sitting to prepare to change the oil and the oil blew threw the rust on it and painted part of my house. Changed it put on new filter, idled ok, brought the rpms up and started seeing oil dripping. Shut it down and saw part of the seal pushed out. Same thing with next filter. I will look into crankcase venting.
          Thanks for the reply.

Comment

pressure relief valve in oil pump is stuck

Comment

Will look into it, thanks

Comment

And with proper tightening with a proper fitting filter that would seem pretty hard to blow by
                To push the seal out of it's seat will need a tremendous amount of pressure!
                This makes me think that while screwing the filter on the seal came out/got pinched/is not seated well. Did yu lubricated the seal well before screwing the filter on?

some users having problems with less expensive auto oil filters
                I and almost everybody here in Costa Rica is using car oil filters and i never heard that, they may leak because the tread is too long/short, but popping the seal out of the groove, never

Chris

Comment

yup, lubricated the seal. Have done many oil and filter changes so not a noob to the procedure. Inclined to believe the relief valve is stuck. When I did drain the oil from it there was a fair amount of sludge coming out. Going to let it idle for a while with mystery oil added and see if that helps. Hate to pull the head.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    yup, lubricated the seal. Have done many oil and filter changes so not a noob to the procedure. Inclined to believe the relief valve is stuck. When I did drain the oil from it there was a fair amount of sludge coming out. Going to let it idle for a while with mystery oil added and see if that helps. Hate to pull the head.
                    '''' fit a pressure gauge to the engine and run it, you will probably find it is well over one hundred psi at three thousand rpm, stuck pressure relief valve.

Comment

on the shcedule today. thanks.

Comment

The only time I have seen an oil filter seal blow out was when the seal from the old filter stuck to the block and I put the new one on top of it. Just check to be sure there is no seal stuck to the block.

Comment

Yup, made sure. After the first one blew, scraped the surface with a razor. Checked the oil pressure and its well above where it should be. Removing power head today to change relief valve.

Comment

So here is another puzzler, to me anyhow. Took off the power head to replace the oil pressure relief valve. Unplugged the ECM to get at all the wiring. Could not believe the amount of sludge in the oil pan. Ridiculous amount. Anyway, cleaned it all out, replaced the valve and put it back together. Used the other engine as a guide for routing the wiring back into the correct places, had to unplug that engines ECM to get a better look at a few specific wires. Now, have no power to the fuel pump on either engine. WTH?? Both worked fine before. The only common thing I did to both was unplug the ECM. Can't believe they both went bad. Is there a reset procedure after you unplug the ECM or am I missing something?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              So here is another puzzler, to me anyhow. Took off the power head to replace the oil pressure relief valve. Unplugged the ECM to get at all the wiring. Could not believe the amount of sludge in the oil pan. Ridiculous amount. Anyway, cleaned it all out, replaced the valve and put it back together. Used the other engine as a guide for routing the wiring back into the correct places, had to unplug that engines ECM to get a better look at a few specific wires. Now, have no power to the fuel pump on either engine. WTH?? Both worked fine before. The only common thing I did to both was unplug the ECM. Can't believe they both went bad. Is there a reset procedure after you unplug the ECM or am I missing something?

Thanks
                              ''''''Í hope it is only sludge and not water seeping in from somewhere. Was there much rust on the pressure reg. Sounds like you have blown a fuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X