DF200ATX no water pump telltale flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF200ATX no water pump telltale flow

I'm having an issue with the water pump telltale on my DF200.I bought the motor new in 2016. As I'm a snowbird, when I'm up north for the summer the boat sits on a lift for about 6 months. Several years ago, I had a similar issue, but it was easily remedied by cleaning out the rubber line with a zip tie. When I ran the boat for the first time 4 months ago, I had the same issue. I tried cleaning out the telltale line and still no water flow. With the engine idling in the water, I opened one of the flush ports and clearly had plenty of good water flow. I then ran the boat carefully on several trips for a total of 10 hours, without any overheating issues. Last week I pulled the boat and performed the yearly maintenance, that included a water pump impeller change. The impeller I removed look almost as good as a new one, I could have left it in. So, I did the complete water pump overhaul, removed the upper cowling's and checked all the 3/8 hoses on the outside of the motor. I also removed and replaced the 5 zincs on the block. There was some salt buildup, but not more then what we all thought was normal. The inside of the block looked pretty clean otherwise. The 3/8 hoses including the one that feeds the telltale fitting are all clear. I try to blow air through the hose after I reattached it to the block and it won't let 130 PSI through. with the hose removed I try to feed 200 lb. mono through and it won't make it into the block more than an inch or so. I look in the hole and I see shiny metal, or the inside of the water jacket. I called two dealers, and looked online for hours and nobody has a clue. I ran the motor for about 30 minutes and popped the hood and it doesn’t seem to be hot, anywhere on the block. Also, no alarms. Cracked open a flush port and good water flow. The motor has only 140 hours on it. Someone must have run into this before. Any ideas?

on my 175 If I am remembering correctly the hose fitting for the telltale comes through the water jacket that has the wash down hose hitting .. there is a cover plate that the fitting is built into and there is a small hole leading to the hose fitting
    Art

Comment

Where the telltale hose attaches to the block there is no removable cover, it is just a nipple that the hose connects to pressed into the block.

Comment

More than likely you simply have a chunk of grit or sand or something blocking the telltale line flow somewhere.

Get a decent heavy length of weed eater line and, with the engine running on the muffs, poke it well into the telltale and give it a good push around. With any luck this will dislodge the blockage and the water flow will push it out.

Comment

Not so simple. All the hoses are clear, there is something wrong inside the block. I'm running salt away through the motor to possibly clear out the blockage.

Comment

The telltale is the first place a portion of the cooling water goes. Basically it’s only function is a visual clue that the impeller is in fact spinning and pumping water. If your are100% sure you have no blockage in the telltale line then I’d be suspicious of the water pump. Your first post you stated that it’s not overheating so it would appear to me that the water pump is pumping and cooling the engine. You have two flush ports, one on the leg and the other at the front of the engine? Water flow on both?

Comment

I pulled the boat and did the yearly maint, including a new water pump impeller. I had the problem BEFORE the impeller change. I expected to find a clogged hose when I inspected the issue out of the water. Both flush ports have solid water flow.

Comment

isn't the pee hose connection to the block right below one of the flush ports? Again I could be wrong, but look closely for about a 1/8th inch hole where the eater then feeds to the hose.

Comment

the pee hole source is on the starboard side of the block, behind the oil filter. I removed the hose and it looks clear to the back of the water jacket in the block. I'm running Salt Away through the motor several times a week to try and clear out the obstruction that I can't see or find.

Comment

Did you try an air compressor to put back pressure on the fitting to try clear the obstruction?

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                      Did you try an air compressor to put back pressure on the fitting to try clear the obstruction?
                      Yes I did, I tried about 130 PSI directly into the nipple on the block and it didn't clear the issue....

I'm the OP and I still haven't found a way to fix this. I'm still under warranty but Suzuki said it isn't a warranty issue, its a service issue. Before I leave for the summer I'm going to find a outboard repair service that can take the block apart and get some estimates. It really sucks that I have to have the motor opened up to fix this, but that looks like where this is going.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Comment

I brought the motor to a marine machinic to fix the problem. He said the problem is a clogged water passage in the oil cooler. He said the water passes through the oil cooler just before it goes out the telltale. I can't find an oil cooler in any of the parts list for this motor. Does anyone know where the oil cooler is located?
                        Last edited by Suzuki32137; 03-26-2022, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I have to agree, I didn't see an oil cooler on the parts list for the ATX. Surprised me. Maybe another 200 owner knows more.

Comment

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...810001/oil-pan

Part 15 maybe? “Water Jacket Oil Pan” Just a guess

Comment

Any chance the water pressure valve and thermostat might be stuck open, allowing full water flow through block but causing little, or no tell tale flow? Just remembering this from previous posts.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X