1998 Dt200 undercharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Dt200 undercharging

Have a 1998 Dt200. Its new to me and my first suzuki that came on the boat i bought. While using it yesterday i noticed that at slow trolling speeds it was barely charging the batteries. I had 12.4v to 12.5v then would drop when I'd use my downriggers. When we left and headed in it got up to 13.5v when we sped it up. Any suspected culprits or most likely problem? Stator? Rectifier? Bad connections? I've never had a motor undercharge before.

You don’t mention the age or condition of your battery/batteries. Have you had battery/batteries load tested. Any corrosion on any of the connections from your battery/batteries to the starter? Are you expecting too much from your battery/batteries at idle when drawing from them? I have never used down down riggers so I can’t speak on the power requirements of the down riggers. Anyone?

Comment

The regulator/rectifier adjusts the voltage to charge the battery.
      The suzuki service manual will tell you what the two battery charging coils (my motor dt140s, .1ohms - .3ohms - is good) should read. You should check your wiring diagram for the wire colors of your "battery charging coils " and test according to your manual specs. The charging output (my 140s) is given as 12V, 70W.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Appreciate the replies. I haven't been able to mess with it, but after doing some late night digging it appears that it probably is working as it should. The previous motors I've had, have had actual alternators where this one has the stator, rectifier, etc. It seems that at an idle rpm the output is very low on the charging side. When i get up to 2000 or so rpm it ramps up, so its probably just the nature of the beast. The manual that came with it is a crappy clymer one so the specs really ain't in it.

Comment

Batteries are good to go, but it's something ill be on top of. Again l, appreciate the insight guys.

Comment

My gauges on twin df150 read above 14 volts while idling, last year it was usually around 12.6 to 13volts. Is this cause for alarm?

Comment

That slight fluctuation may not be that important, as many of the newer motors charge between 12.5v and 16v depending on your charging system.

It could also indicate that your batteries are in need of charging, or possibly they are not holding a full charge as long as they used to, starting to get weaker?

It may be a good time to check connections, and charge batteries for now. Also, pay attention to any more changes out of the normal. Document these differences/changes, and ask/have them checked next servicing. These newer motors do require good, consistent batteries.

Good luck, post back if having problems.

Comment

Working...
              X