No engine pee on new DF9.9BTL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No engine pee on new DF9.9BTL

I have a new DF9.9BTL that I just installed. I added oil, connected gas and battery. I put propeller in garbage can with water. It started but there is no water coming out back. I did not give any throttle and only let it run for about 20 seconds. On old post said they had to give some throttle to get the "pee" out the back. Thoughts plese.

Water level in can has to be 4"-5" above the water pump assy in the lower unit to be sure water pump impeller is submerged. If the impeller is turned when dry, serious damage to the impeller can occur.

Is it possible the motor was ever tuned-over while impeller was dry? It only takes a few seconds for the impeller to fragment if run dry?
    If you're sure water level is good, and pump has always been wet, try starting motor again, and give it another 20-30 seconds.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Thank you. Got a larger barrell so the top of the propeller is about a foot under water. Now it pees just fine. Still breaking it in. Very quiet but seems to have a bit of vibration.

Comment

interesting ... new to forum and saw this ... the reason I am here is because i have a brand new 2020 9.9B still in break in period, about 3 hours left. Been using it to troll and just putter about when not using main engine. All salt water use, but, rinsed every time after for at least 15 minutes with fresh water. All rinses and non on-water running has been with a water cuff not in a barrel. In any case, been running great, no issues ... until ... this last time, on the water, about 0.5 miles out of harbor I spun the hub on my main motor and started up the kicker ... turned my attention back to main motor when I realized ... no water coming out telltale hole ... and engine warning light on. So weird. Shut it down, let it cool, restart ... same problem. Hobbled back to harbor on main engine. back home, I started back up with fresh water cuff ... not moving any water out water hole! I tried burying the shaft in a deep trash can with water, starter up ... still no pee! Then I hooked up hose to flush plug, water coming out everywhere and engine runs great ... so, nothing clogged and no engine damage.

Hence, appears I have a brand new motor still in break in period with a completely failed water pump. And, Suzuki appears to not cover this under warranty as it is "standard maintenance" ... yea right, nonsense, the engine is brand new, its clearly a manufacturers defect.

Any thoughts on this ...

Could it be anything besides a lemon of a water pump?

Will suzuki bend and give me a break on warranty? Or, should I just bite the bullet and pay a local guy to replace pump/impellar?

Other ...

such a bummer ...

looking for any advise

Comment

Originally posted by obekse View Post
          interesting ... new to forum and saw this ... the reason I am here is because i have a brand new 2020 9.9B still in break in period, about 3 hours left. Been using it to troll and just putter about when not using main engine. All salt water use, but, rinsed every time after for at least 15 minutes with fresh water. All rinses and non on-water running has been with a water cuff not in a barrel. In any case, been running great, no issues ... until ... this last time, on the water, about 0.5 miles out of harbor I spun the hub on my main motor and started up the kicker ... turned my attention back to main motor when I realized ... no water coming out telltale hole ... and engine warning light on. So weird. Shut it down, let it cool, restart ... same problem. Hobbled back to harbor on main engine. back home, I started back up with fresh water cuff ... not moving any water out water hole! I tried burying the shaft in a deep trash can with water, starter up ... still no pee! Then I hooked up hose to flush plug, water coming out everywhere and engine runs great ... so, nothing clogged and no engine damage.

Hence, appears I have a brand new motor still in break in period with a completely failed water pump. And, Suzuki appears to not cover this under warranty as it is "standard maintenance" ... yea right, nonsense, the engine is brand new, its clearly a manufacturers defect.

Any thoughts on this ...

Could it be anything besides a lemon of a water pump?

Will suzuki bend and give me a break on warranty? Or, should I just bite the bullet and pay a local guy to replace pump/impellar?

Other ...

such a bummer ...

looking for any advise
          I can see Suzuki not warranting an impeller, same as an auto manufacturer not warranting brakes, they have no control over how you run it. Check your owners manual re running the engine on the flush ports, my owners manual instructions state clearly that the engine should be off while flushing. If you are mechanically inclined changing a water pump isn’t a big job, watch a few YouTube videos or back to the dealer.

Comment

I agree with Murray - very unlikely that an impeller will be a warranty issue. On a small motor like that, easy to change it yourself.

If its been burnt/melted from running out of water, get a full water pump kit and install all the parts, because housings etc may have been damaged too.

When you say you have only flushed it using a “water cuff”, what is it that you call a cuff??

Note that you must not run a Suzuki outboard when the hose is attached to the flushing attachment. As Murray said, read your owners manual as to how to flush your model, some of the very small hp engines have different connections.

The engines can typically be run when the muffs are attached - the style in the link below are the ones that work best, small round ones with soft rubber cups. But regardless, when the muffs are on and the hose turned on, a steady strong stream should be coming out of the telltale pipe within 20-30 sec of starting.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/blueline-ou...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Working...
            X