Johnson ver. df70 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson ver. df70 help

SO I have a late 04 Johnsuki, do to life I din't really use for a couple of years very much. I have it at a mechnic now as I cleaned and replaced the injectors as it was running poorly. It still wouldn't start and I didn't have the right tools (gauge) to check the rail pressure and time was also an issue. I did stick an induction timing light on the plug wires and it indicated no spark. I brought it to the mech and he said the fuel pump is bad which I somewhat suspected as the pressure seemed low. But the no spark is still an issue and he can't figure it out. he believes its a bad ECU. he has tested the CPS, the Cam PS, said power to the coils, checked all the connections but still no spark. At this point he has two suggestions, new ECU or replace with a used engine. I have had this boat about 10 years and want to step up to something a little larger so I want it fixed right but don't really want to invest a bunch of $$$$. Thoughts or recommendations of where to look or maybe someplace that can test and repair the ECU?

The mech said the harness appears to be different from the Suzuki harness and didn't know if Johnson ECU was different.

I don't know if its looked down on to bump a thread but are there any recommendations as to someplace that can test and repair ECU if needed? the Mech is lost on this issue and I need to pick up the boat.

Comment

talked with Mech yesterday and he tried ECM from a DF70 and no change, still no spark should the ECM from a DF70 work in the Johnson version? Everything appears to point to the ECM, does the PM need to be exact?

Comment

Look up your engine on the dark blue tab at the top of the page “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts”. Enter your year and horsepower, find the part your looking for then screw down to the bottom and you’ll get a list of common years and engine that the part in question was used on. Not sure if that will help you though, I THINK Suzuki only supplied blocks to other manufacturers. I could be wrong on that, I don’t know.

Comment

Thanks I will take that advise.

Comment

looks like there is no ECM available, any recommendations on someplace to test or repair?

Comment

Ebay seems to be a source for old parts

Comment

Thanks, challenge there is, cant tell if the suzuki ecm will work. So comes to finding a johnson unit

Comment

Is there any place that can test/repair the ECM? I haven't been able to get a clear answer if the Suzuki ECM will fire the the Johnson or not. all testing points to either ECM or harness.

Comment

The so called JohnZukis were simply Suzuki’s with different decals and paint colour on the cowls.

The only difference was, I think, the harnesses, and this was simply so the Johnson control boxes and gauges could be used.

So I am almost certain that all of the Suzuki parts for the same model/year engine will be suitable. It would really not have made much sense for Johnson to try to make their own parts anyway - remember this was immediately post the FICHT MKI debacle and OMC was broke and desperate for engines to comply with the EPA emissions regs that were just starting to hit home. They had no money to do their own development work!

Also, if you pull the ecu and inspect it there should be a part number or some other identifying markings in it, this will help determine compatibility. I would bet $ there will be a common part number for Suzukis there. Many of the Suzuki electronic components were/are made by Mitsubishi electrics, possibly the ecu too.

I would add one more thought - the guys at Brownspoint Suzuki are outstanding for their knowledge of Suzukis and their support for Suzuki owners. Give them a call or email and I am sure they will be able to give you a definitive answer and they may even have used parts available, or at least be able to give you the correct part numbers so you can find one yourself.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-23-2021, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Here is a link to the parts section on this forum for the Suzuki DF70 2004 year, if you pick the ecu you will then see that it lists a large number of engines that this part is compatible with.

https://www.boats.net/product/suzuki...a37c08ea6a9b25

Comment

Working...
                      X