DF300AP leaking oil when tilted up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF300AP leaking oil when tilted up

Boat is in slip, motors tilted fully up when stored. When you tilt it down, oil that has accumulated in front lower cowl just dumps out. Oil does not appear to leak when running, though I may just not see it since it probably has a clear path out vs accumulating like when tilted up.

Any common areas to look? I did not see anything obvious. Around oil filter was dry.

Thanks

What’s the oil level on the dip stick with the motor fully down?

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
      What’s the oil level on the dip stick with the motor fully down?
      Yesterday after three days of sitting tilted up, cleaned up leaked oil and checked level and it was about halfway between the marks. Motors are new to me and this was first time they've sat tilted up for any period of time. Have been working on them/my boat since April, just splashed this week.

Comment

Was hoping it was something simple like too much oil. You may want/need to pull the plastic covers off to get a better look.

Comment

Guess the only thing you can do is pull the cowling, clean it up, fill the oil to the correct level and tilt it up and watch for any drips. Halfway down on the dipstick might be a level where it stops leaking out. So it could be that no more than that would leak if not topped off again. My first check would be the O-ring on the filler cap.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Not sure what yr model you have. But take a look at the parts link associated with this site. Looking under yr 2015, for example, look at the 300AP, engine holder detail. Now look at part # 10. It is an aluminum cover plate that opens to expose engine mounting bolts. It is exposed to salt water (assume it was in it) and corrodes. That corrosion will make a small hole that leaks a little oil down the swivel shaft. I had to fix this problem on a df140 I own (07)

Comment

when was the last time the oil was changed? When the filters are removed oil can be spilled and it might be residual oil finding it's way out the front of the cowling when it's tilted all the up.

Comment

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...ak-i-can-t-see
                RustyShackleford Look at this link. It discusses the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
                  https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...ak-i-can-t-see
                  RustyShackleford Look at this link. It discusses the leak.
                  Is that unique to the 140's?

Comment

I am not sure. I know at least 2 other people had this happen. I know 1 had DF140.

Comment

Some areas to check

- oil filter itself - have seen a few reports of filters that have been damaged during installation and getting a tiny pinhole in them and, under pressure when the engine is running, can leak.
                      - oil filler cap. Make sure its on properly and the seal on the cap is good. Wouldnt be the first time someone hasnt reinstalled it correctly
                      - dipstick seal - again make sure its there and sealing correctly when dipstick is back in.
                      - as suggested by others, take the side cowls off and clean it up. Oil spills after oil change can leave residue if not cleaned up at the time. Look for any evidence that might point to where oil is leaking from.

I doubt that its anything to do with a corroded engine holder. That was mainly an issue many years ago with some 115/140’s and a very occasional 150/175 4 cylinder engine.

Lastly, is it necessary to have the engines “fully tilted up” when stored? Its better to have them down in roughly the normal running position when they are stored.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                        Some areas to check

- oil filter itself - have seen a few reports of filters that have been damaged during installation and getting a tiny pinhole in them and, under pressure when the engine is running, can leak.
                        - oil filler cap. Make sure its on properly and the seal on the cap is good. Wouldnt be the first time someone hasnt reinstalled it correctly
                        - dipstick seal - again make sure its there and sealing correctly when dipstick is back in.
                        - as suggested by others, take the side cowls off and clean it up. Oil spills after oil change can leave residue if not cleaned up at the time. Look for any evidence that might point to where oil is leaking from.

I doubt that its anything to do with a corroded engine holder. That was mainly an issue many years ago with some 115/140’s and a very occasional 150/175 4 cylinder engine.

Lastly, is it necessary to have the engines “fully tilted up” when stored? Its better to have them down in roughly the normal running position when they are stored.
                        I currently have 2 2013 DF300AP 's apart for rebuild. 1150 hrs. submerged in salt water. 0 corrosion on those oil seal covers.

Comment

I recommend marina engines for all your good engines

Comment

Just for your complete understanding. Those plates don't corrode from the top, They corrode from underneath and eat a small hole in plate. I started to notice the oil drip when I had it tilted up when returning from fishing. Also, RustyShackleford, does your drip run down the swivel shaft? If it runs down the swivel shaft it's the plate. That is where the plate sits over and it drips there Yall can search till the cows come home but if you got oil that gets out of the engine down that shaft, dig no further. Otherwise you have gasket mating surface(s) that are leaking, That oil runs on the outside of the power head and underneath the cowling.

Comment

Have narrowed it to somewhere toward front of motor, and at bottom. Sadly none of the simple suggestions.

It pools in front of lower cowls when tilted up, and I need to keep tilted up so motors clear the water to avoid growth. I'm not positive it doesn't leak running, I may just not notice, but at rest it is bad enough that I'm currently just extracting the oil so I don't drop anymore into the water. Will likely pull boat back out in next few weeks and go from there.

For now, the cabin has cold AC and cold beer, and the slips paid for, so just as well listen to the radio and cuss the boat while sitting on it

Comment

Working...
                              X