Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt 50 overhearing

Good day
    have justed serviced my dt 50 outboard (1983) started up pumping water as normal job done . The boat went back into the water a week later as i was going back to my pontoon the over heating alarm went off, got back to slipway saw steam coming out of mid section. Got the boat out and removed the lower unit , checked impeller all seemed ok. I noticed something under the plate so removed impeller and plate and noticed the casing around the drive shaft had corroded away. Would this have caused the motor to over heat? Or is there another fault?
    thank you
    Dave

If you're talking about the chamber under the water pump, yes! That's a problem that will cause overheating. There might also be a tube that runs from that chamber to a screen just above the prop blades (sub-water pickup system), only on some models?
    That area, if not too badly damaged might be repairable at a good heli-arc (aluminium welding) shop. If your motor has a sub-water tube (stainless tube) that goes across the exhaust chamber as stated before, put it back after repairing the water pump chamber that's corroded/eaten away. If that chamber is damaged too badly, you will have to locate/find a good replacement lower unit that fits your motor.

You do not want the exhaust gases leaking into the water pump chamber at all. This will prevent the water pump from picking up water (exhaust gases will blow the water back out of the pump chamber).

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Thank you for quick reply.i will see if it can be fixed or find anther lower unit, would be sad to scrap this motor as its been a very good reliable engine
      thank you again
      Dave

Comment

I’m not saying scrap the engine just be aware that parts, especially electrical parts are becoming harder to find as the engine ages. If you scroll to the top of this page “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts” select your lower unit then scroll down to the bottom and you’ll find a list of other lower units that will fit your engine. Gives you a wider selection of parts to look for.

Comment

I have found a gearbox from a dt 60 oil injection would that fit my Dt 50 engine?

Comment

It appears not but reread Post #4 and check\verify yourself

Comment

Working...
            X