Dt6 cdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt6 cdi

Hi I have a 1994 DT6SR (00601-461001) which I believe has a faulty CDI/IGNITION unit.
    I have tested Ignition, lighting and pulsar coils and all resistance's are within acceptable range. Compression is also 105psi both cylinder (cold)
    Flywheel magnets all look mint, wiring and coils look excellent too.
    I have cleaned the carburetor and replaced bowl seal, fill needle and generally gave it a refresh as initially it was a bit gummed up.
    The engine sometimes starts but runs very "rich" which I now believe is more to do with an average spark. Other times there is now spark when turning engine over (using a light inline with spark plugs), spark plugs are also new.
    This engine used to start easily and run very well until this issue which initially I thought was just a dirty carb.

NOW where can I get a replacement CDI or what other CDI will fit this model???

Part number for the CDI from the engine is 32900-98110 but can see the older version is 32900-98101

It appears many outboards use a similar looking CDI unit. Can I get any unit or will this effect dwell timing etc??
    Last edited by SeriouR; 07-13-2022, 03:11 PM.

At the top select “Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts” select your engine then the CDI from your engine. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you’ll find a list that has all the models that the CDI will fit. Especially handy if you’re searching the used market.

As far as your issues go, be patient, there’s a few members on this forum that have forgotten more about 2 strokes than I’ll ever know. Rarely there is issues with CDI on this forum, it’s usually something else.

Comment

The most common problem with 2 strokes is gum in the air & fuel passages (some are very small). It is very important to soak the carb body then blow each small/ large passage clear with good compressed air. Remember to record settings on each jet removed some motors have more than one adjustable jet. The idle air/fuel mixture screw should be set per factory service manual setting for each carb (some motors have multiple carbs). The float needle and seat should be removed for soaking, and blown clear afterwards, then reset float level after installing. Once you have cleaned the carb completely and blown every passage clear and re-installed all the jets, then re-install carb(s).
      I usually tell people to wrap a clean white paper towel to catch any debris when blowing jets & passages to help identify anything blocking the passages. In some cases black-sooty debris is a good sign fuel lines are breaking down, small clear plastic discs could tell you the fuel pump is damaged?

Very seldom have I found a CDI causing problems. most often it is a gear counting coil going bad, or not reading each tooth of the flywheel, also sensors, and oil flow switches.

Good luck, post back if still having problems.

Last edited by Solarman; 07-13-2022, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X