Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servicing Costs?

G'day all,

I just had the 200 hour service on my DF140 and was a bit shocked at the price ($875). I do understand that on this service the valve clearances are adjusted, but really! To put it into perspective the 15,00km service on my Ranger is $400, the most expensive Suzuki car service for a comparable engine is $499.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

What are the rest of you paying?

Thanks

Flip

Did they give you a specification of the bill?
    Regards, Martin
    DF200 2007

Comment

Hi,

I got a detailed invoice for the work done if that's what you mean.

Comment

That's what I mean yeah

Do you see anything out of the ordinary? Parts used, labor? We can't guess what they did and used.
        Regards, Martin
        DF200 2007

Comment

Why don't you just post a pic of the bill, reasons for charges area, don't need to show personal info.

It is helpful what they itemized, and the work done.

Comment

G'day all,

Attached is a photo of the invoice.

As you can see they replaced the water impellor, 5 anodes and 7 valve shims.

According to my last service (12 months ago at 100 hours) they replace the water impellor then as well.

As for the shims, there was no valve noise coming from the motor indicating that there was excessive clearance.

I can't comment on the anodes.

They gave me a bag of parts that were replaced but were pretty keen to take them back before I left so they could dispose of them...

Flip
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Flippa; 11-21-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I am from Europe bit i find that ****ing cracy

Comment

Lessons to be learned:

1. Always ask for an estimate when you book in for a service. Its too late to complain later if you didnt get an estimate first!! Get 2 estimates if possible.

2. Always make it clear that if any extra work is required above and beyond the service estimate youve got, that you are to be contacted BEFORE the work is done so you can approve it.

As a reference for your costs, last week I had a 100hr service done on my DF115 here in Brisbane area. The labour for the service was $100 less than your labour charges. A 100 hr Suzuki service kit that includes ALL of the parts filters etc required cost $207. The Motul Suzuki engine oil was $56. Misc grease and geabox oil $22.

They found a little water in the gearbox so we agreed that a driveshaft seal kit was required, with labour, costs totalled $110.

I am a bit surprised to see that 7 new shims were required, a bit unusual, but they only have to be out by one-thou and should be replaced. I hope you saw the old replaced shims when you collected the motor. Price per shim is par for normal.

Has the motor ever been overheated?

Edit: the Suzuki service kit Used for my 100hr service included all the necessary parts to change the water pump impeller with associated gaskets and O rings, oil filter, replacement anode, cotter pin for the propeller, 4 x NGK spark plugs and any other necessary gaskets and seals for the gearbox drain screws and the thermostat housing. Ive seen same kit for a Df140A advertised locally for $220-$250 and appears to include more parts than you were billed for at a lower cost.
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 11-21-2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

well my comment is be a better consumer
                  know what you are paying for
                  cost for shop hours? $383 is about 5 hours @ $75 / hr. ask what his shop hours cost
                  parts. yes dealers mark up prices but??? go to the parts page on this site
                  Anode. about $6 to $8 each
                  oil filter $13
                  impeller $46
                  fuel filter. $11. / ? replacing it?/
                  shims $9
                  do the math
                  and maybe a question would be. you pulled the valve cover off to check valve clearances / said you replaced 7 shims / and didn’t charge for a new gasket?
                  anytime you pull that off you replace gaskets

maybe need to have a heart to heart conversation with this dealer
                  Art

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Art being a better consumer may be a little easier in larger cities where competition plays its part. Your point about the valve cover gasket sort of agrees with my gut feel, that perhaps replacement of 7 shims may have been an exaggeration (to be kind)... Not only that, but the description of the service doesn't mention checking and adjusting valve clearances. And yeah I think a heart to heart is in order.

Moonlighter I didn't bother getting a quote before the service was done as my mate just got his 175 done (for about $600) and I wasn't going to travel an extra 2 hours (each way) to get it serviced. I was also surprised to see the shims replaced, particularly given there was absolutely no valve noise coming from the engine. They handed me a bag of old parts that supposedly came from my motor but were pretty keen to take them back to "dispose of" (on reflection I should have kept them so they couldn't be shown to the next sucker as parts replaced on his).

My big problem is that they sort of have me over a barrel as the nearest alternative Suzuki service agent is more than and hour and a half away.

Flip

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                      well my comment is be a better consumer
                      know what you are paying for
                      cost for shop hours? $383 is about 5 hours @ $75 / hr. ask what his shop hours cost
                      parts. yes dealers mark up prices but??? go to the parts page on this site
                      Anode. about $6 to $8 each
                      oil filter $13
                      impeller $46
                      fuel filter. $11. / ? replacing it?/
                      shims $9
                      do the math
                      and maybe a question would be. you pulled the valve cover off to check valve clearances / said you replaced 7 shims / and didn’t charge for a new gasket?
                      anytime you pull that off you replace gaskets

maybe need to have a heart to heart conversation with this dealer
                      Art
                      Art-
                      Dont forget the OP is in Australia so even allowing for the $ conversion rate, our parts prices are generally not as good as USA.

Plus, he is in central Qld, away from the population centres, parts will have to be freighted up there from Brisbane, and that will add a little to costs. And there will be a distinct lack of competition from suitably qualified Suzuki mechanics.

I agree he needs to have a heart to heart with his dealer and sort out their relationship.

IMO there is nothing more important than having trust and confidence in your local dealer/mechanic, that they will do the job right and not do unnecessary things or just rip you off.

My saying has always been that when you find such a person, put them inside a big fence and never let them escape, do everything you can to keep them happy!

Comment

Originally posted by Flippa View Post
                        G'day all,

I just had the 200 hour service on my DF140 and was a bit shocked at the price ($875). I do understand that on this service the valve clearances are adjusted, but really! To put it into perspective the 15,00km service on my Ranger is $400, the most expensive Suzuki car service for a comparable engine is $499.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

What are the rest of you paying?'That's about what you would pay down here in Victoria, your going to have to learn how to do it your self.

Unless you have flogged the gut's out of your engine I would not have thought it would have needed a shim adjustment, I have done 1400 hundred hours in my 140 and have not had to change shims yet, but in saying that you could have had tight clearances and you would not know because the engine would not be making a noise from the shims having no clearance.
                        Have a look around the cam cover you should be able to tell if it has been off.

Mate they would not have thrown out the shims,

Thanks

Flip
                        '''''''''''''

Comment

All has been said imho..... so talk with your dealer in an open way
                          Regards, Martin
                          DF200 2007

Comment

I was quoted $650 per engine for the 20 hr service, which is basically an oil change + lower unit oil change. That's absurd. I have used the boat 1 time in past 3 months because I can't find anyone to service it. The dealer advertised "free haul-out" for service, but they'll never actually come and pick you up unless you can be there when they are dropping someone else off, which never happens because they are 2 hrs away.
                            Last edited by Pro_Line_FL; 08-29-2022, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X