2007 DF 140 Tilt and Trim Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shallowaterhunter View Post
    Please explain and i will try. I am not a mechanic but mechanically inclined. Just need some guidance.
    '''''''''The trim switch on the console and the switch on the engine get their supply voltage from two different places, the console voltage comes off the ignition switch and the switch on the engine comes from the main control relay.

Remove the cover on the port side and sit it on the transom if you can, hook up your test light to a good ground and test the probe on the starter battery pos to make sure it is working then probe the red and white wire in the centre of the switch it should light. Press the up button, the light blue wire should light up the light, if it does do the same at the trim relay, it is a single relay with dual function you will see the same coloured wires light blue for up pink for down. If it does not light with the button pressed go to the trim limit switch, it is in series with the up button, It will open when the motor reaches its limit there will be battery voltage on one side, when you press the down button the leaver will close the switch and there will be voltage on both sides of the switch again

If you can do these tests come back on the forum and tell me what you have found, then I will tell you how to do voltage drop tests on the trim motor. Don't get confused with the green and blue motor wires at this time.

Comment

Tilt and Trim Problem

All of this I can do. As soon as the weather breaks I will get busy. Have a lot of fish to catch. :-)

As a note: The trim motor does try to move the motor further down when i hit the switch down.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
        '''''''''The trim switch on the console and the switch on the engine get their supply voltage from two different places, the console voltage comes off the ignition switch and the switch on the engine comes from the main control relay.

Remove the cover on the port side and sit it on the transom if you can, hook up your test light to a good ground and test the probe on the starter battery pos to make sure it is working then probe the red and white wire in the centre of the switch it should light. Press the up button, the light blue wire should light up the light, if it does do the same at the trim relay, it is a single relay with dual function you will see the same coloured wires light blue for up pink for down. If it does not light with the button pressed go to the trim limit switch, it is in series with the up button, It will open when the motor reaches its limit there will be battery voltage on one side, when you press the down button the leaver will close the switch and there will be voltage on both sides of the switch again

If you can do these tests come back on the forum and tell me what you have found, then I will tell you how to do voltage drop tests on the trim motor. Don't get confused with the green and blue motor wires at this time.
        i was fiddling with the cam yesterday and the motor tilted up. i trimmed down again and it wouldn't come back up. i couldn't repeat what i did to make it go up. I tested the blue wire at the switch on the motor and got the test light to light up once but not again. I do not get a light at the blue wire at the relay and i don't get any light at the limit switch. the plunger on the limit switch seems to work, i can hear it click when it push the switch lever.

So right now, i get the motor to work on the down button but there is silence when i push the down button except for the one odd time yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainD View Post
          you should be able to hear if the trim relay is doing its job to even just hear it clicking. Just follow where the green and blue wire go into the motor from the trim motor. If that relay is clicking while hitting the switch either on the motor or binnacle,and motor doesn't tilt up, down, or either I would say you need a new trim motor. I've heard of switches going bad but i'm betting motor
          When i push the down button i feel the relay working, when i push the up button there is no "click" in the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
            You've still not mentioned anything about the tilt limit switch. Yes, in your pictures your cam seems properly positioned, and the switch lever is not pushed to engage the switch. So all that is proper. But have you checked the switch itself? If the switch plunger is stuck it will prevent trimming or tilting up, but not down. Looks like you have a lot of extra grease and other crap there on the tilt shaft that should probably be wiped off.
            The plunger isn't stuck, i can hear it click when i push on the lever.

Comment

Tilt/Trim Problems ??????

Okay, i started up the engine to test my idle and tried to raise the trim for the hell of it at the remote control. It worked for about 1 second and then cut off. What would cause intermittent functioning?

Comment

It's the limit switch. If you got it to work once while fooling with the cam on the limit switch, why look anywhere else? Plunger shmunger.....it's a bad limit switch.

The limit switch also failed your electrical check that you did with redlowrey's help. What's the big mystery? It's preventing power getting to the relay.
                Last edited by Harper; 12-18-2017, 09:00 AM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

ok now having no up or clicking on the relay is that consistent with both the binnacle switch for trim and on the engine switch no clicking when trying to trim up?

Comment

in my case the trim switch on the ‘port’ side (thank you) went bad with salt water and motor would, in my case, only trim up
                    to rule this switch out,
                    merely unplug it and then check the operation of the trim switch on the remote
                    if that goes back to operating normally you will know where the problem is
                    BTW, I carefully took the switch apart and found this problem. was able to clean it up and get the contacts working while I had a new one on order
                    art

Comment

Originally posted by shallowaterhunter View Post
                      Okay, i started up the engine to test my idle and tried to raise the trim for the hell of it at the remote control. It worked for about 1 second and then cut off. What would cause intermittent functioning?
                      ''''''mate just take your boat to an auto electrician he will find the problem in five minutes and charge you fifty bucks.

Comment

Okay, i ordered a new limit switch. I took the boat to the lake last Wednesday before the switch came in to test the idle and the trim worked flawlessly. No problems at all. Took it to the bay today to fish and no trim up at all. I am going to replace the limit switch since i have it and see if that works.

Comment

I replaced the limit switch and have not had any problems. Thanks for all of the help.

Comment

If you can't get it to go up from either switch, the switch on the motor is not the issue. The relay will be on the motor in the fuse block, there's a couple of other relays in there identical so you can swap with another to see if that's the issue. With your engine cover off and the fuse box cover off you should hear a click for up and down. The next problem does not make it easy. The engines computer controls this. When you hit the up or down switch, it doesn't just wire right to the relay but it actually sends the signal to the computer which then sends power to the relay so diagnosing it is _not_ as easy as some would claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moore View Post
                              If you can't get it to go up from either switch, the switch on the motor is not the issue. The relay will be on the motor in the fuse block, there's a couple of other relays in there identical so you can swap with another to see if that's the issue. With your engine cover off and the fuse box cover off you should hear a click for up and down. The next problem does not make it easy. The engines computer controls this. When you hit the up or down switch, it doesn't just wire right to the relay but it actually sends the signal to the computer which then sends power to the relay so diagnosing it is _not_ as easy as some would claim.
                              Not true in this case. The computer gets involved only with the newer motors. The 2007 model computer has nothing to do with tilt/trim. Besides, he's already fixed the problem by replacing the limit switch.

Glad to hear that you got it fixed, shallowaterhunter. Thanks for the update.
                              Last edited by Harper; 02-21-2018, 01:00 AM.
                              Mike
                              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

glad it all worked out!

Comment

Working...
                                X