Timing question df50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing question df50

Should the timing jump around at idle on muffs? my sds program shows it jumping from 4 btdc to 10 btdc and all points inbetween. If I increase the rpm's up to 1200 or so it holds steady at 9. I'm thinking maybe its a software glitch as the data logger dosen't work, freezes almost immediately, or its a normal occurence. Using sds 8.0, windows 10 As usual thankyou for any insite you can give.

No One have any thoughts?

Comment

Hello. I am not a spe******t. The problem you refer to may have a bad ground or a fault with the charge regulator. I lost contact with the sds and replaced the regulator and battery cable that sea water had entered. Had to open the cable at a joint to find the fault. The regulator supplied 500mv ac and caused noise on the sds.

Comment

My 2c - if the timing was ACTUALLY jumping around like crazy, the engine would not be running smoothly and steadily, and you would for sure notice it hunting.

Comment

What is probably happening the timing chain tensioner is not keeping enough tension on the chain at idle from wear and low oil pressure, also at idle the camshaft will jumpy when the valves are coming off the overlap position.

That will make the fly wheel not go passed the crank sensor at the same precise time, when you increase the rpm the oil pressure increases and keeps morel pressure on the chain keeping the crank sensor in correct correlation with fly wheel.

Take the cover off the fly wheel and see how far you can rotate the fly whee in the opposite direction l before you can feel the slack being taken up when the camshaft starts to turn, it will probably be around 20 degrees.

Comment

Working...
          X