2007 DF140 Rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF140 Rattling

My engine is making a loud rattling/knocking noise above the lower unit (mid motor). I suspect it is the transmission gears. Does anybody have another idea what it could be? Is it worth spending the money to get it repaired? It only has about 600 hours on it.

Your “transmission” is at the very bottom of your lower unit just in front of the propeller. Above that is the water pump, after the water pump there isn’t much until the drive shaft inserts into the engine. Are you sure you’ve pin pointed your noise correctly? Is this noise present in F-N-R?

Comment

When was your last qualified service, valve clearances, cam tensioner, water pump, lower unit (transmission) gear lube change?

With the quality of insulation for sound proofing, it is possible for sounds in the powerhead to echo down to the hollow midsection above the lower unit.

It would be advisable to get it looked at before any major problem occurs? Yes, it is worth it to know.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

What is the F-N-R? I change the water pump and gear oil every year, regardless of hours used, I hardly use it though. I have had it for 6 years and put maybe 120 hours on it and don't know when the last qualified service was done. I did however, hit a submerged piling a while back and notices a very, very, slight wobble in prop after that. Mechanic said that could have caused whatever is happening. We will wait and see what they find. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by shallowaterhunter View Post
          What is the F-N-R? I change the water pump and gear oil every year, regardless of hours used, I hardly use it though. I have had it for 6 years and put maybe 120 hours on it and don't know when the last qualified service was done. I did however, hit a submerged piling a while back and notices a very, very, slight wobble in prop after that. Mechanic said that could have caused whatever is happening. We will wait and see what they find. Stay tuned.
          well that’s useful info.

any noticeable wobble in a prop usually means a bent prop shaft, if you can see it easily, its badly bent. (At that point, you should stop using the motor until its fixed.)

Bent prop shafts always leads to gearbox seals failing.

Which leads to water getting into gearbox. Which is bad, very bad.

If you remove the lower oil drain screw in the gearbox and drain the oil, you will soon find out if that’s what has happened, and the speculation will be over.

Comment

Forward-Neutral-Reverse

Comment

Working...
            X