Pair of 90As won’t start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pair of 90As won’t start

Got a bit of a tricky one, I have a pair of 90As that have been not started for about a year (various personal reasons) fresh fuel, turn over fine, but, both will not start, the only thing in common is the single safety cutout, I have disconnected that, just the same. The motors are behind a transom “wall” so I am unsure if the HP pump turns on, but, I can smell fuel when trying to start it, any simple clues before I start pulling things to bits? The motors do not even “kick” just turn over via the starter.
    edit……..no codes shown, motors go through standard start procedure.

Take the cowls off and wait there to listen to what happens when someone else turns the keys to the on position.

Comment

Yep, going to do that later today when my “helper” comes home. It seems strange I can smell fuel when trying to start, but then, who knows? Do you think they would at least kick for a second even if the HP pump (on both motors) were dead?

Comment

Seems like when I turn the key to on, there is a very short dzz, but no real pump running sound (whirring) and at key back off, the same dzz seems a bit hard to believe both pumps are bad at the same time?

Comment

Pull a plug out and see if it is wet or dry, if it is wet open the throttles manually to get some air into the combustion chamber, the iac valves might be stuck in the closed position, and not opening when commanded.
          Sounds like the engines are getting cold start fuel with closed throttles and no bypass air. You can smell fuel when cranking so start there.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
            Pull a plug out and see if it is wet or dry, if it is wet open the throttles manually to get some air into the combustion chamber, the iac valves might be stuck in the closed position, and not opening when commanded.
            Sounds like the engines are getting cold start fuel with closed throttles and no bypass air. You can smell fuel when cranking so start there.
            Should I hear the HP pump run at key on? All I hear is a very short zz, appears to be not coming from the pump, but more towards the air box. same at key off, I “guessed” it was the IAC setting/resetting. But I will certainly take a plug out and see.

Comment

High pressure fuel pump should run for 3 seconds

IMG_6285.jpeg

Comment

Finally got one pump, easy to fit, a bit of simple work, but works a treat, looking for a second one now, only really cheap (at high price) Chinese ones around, genuine are $800 here, good after market are $300, but I could only get one, so far.

Comment

Working...
                X