95 dt150 help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 dt150 help please

I swapped out a Force 150 with a 95 DT150. The motor runs strong on the ears. Dump the boat in the water, idles great, pop it in gear and it bogs under a load, barely getting to around 2000 rpms. full throttle does not exist. there is a sweet spot around 2000 rpms where it actually runs smooth allowing the boat to cruise at a whopping 8 to 10 mph. if I play with the tilt button, it makes the motor stumble and run worse. I gave the boat to a supposed mechanic, not so smart. anyway, does anyone have any ideas? the plugs new, gas line from primer bulb, new/ and the sad part is the stripers are running in the Hudson and my boat isn't. please help

Hi Peter, So when you say bogs down is it missing? or just not producing power? If its not missing and just not producing power Id look at fuel supply and possibly ignition timing to start off with.

Comment

from what I am reading, it is in limp mode. I changed the oil sensor and disconnected the temp sensors. after disconnecting the temp sensor, the motor idled nicer, but still stuck in limp mode! kinda sad running a bass boat 7 mph on the Hudson river

Comment

thanks to everyone for all the help!

Comment

how did you go peter?

Comment

sorry to say that my remark was that of sarcasm. no one helped what so ever on this forum

Comment

Well i guess from your comment that it is in limp mode is why you didnt specifically answer my questions? Why do you think it is in limp mode? What code/s is it throwing?

Comment

From what
                i have read, on land it runs fine. under a load, it doesnt exceed around 2k rpms. the more throttle the more it bogs. I have disconnected the temp sensor and the rpms go up. also i have played with disconnecting the oil flow and oil level sensors and it changes alittle. So, i am under the assumption that it is in safe or limp mode. i am waiting for the monitor gauge as we speak. hopefully that will help alittle

Comment

ditto

peter
                  I have had the same problem now for 3 years and have no idea PLEASE tell me what you found out!!!!!!!!

thanks

Comment

you cant just go around disconnecting sensors like that, if they are bad replace them, if not then find the problem causing them to signal the engine is in trouble. they are there to keep you from damaging the motor so find and fix the problem don't just bypass the safety devices protecting the motor.

it may be a bad ECM or something as simple as corroded connections giving false readings or even a short in the wiring harness.

I know this doesn't tell you "go here and do this" but its the best answer I can give you with the info you presented.

and don't poo-poo the forum here, just because no one has an answer for your problem doesn't mean no one wants to help you.

get a good factory service manual for your engine and follow the step by step trouble shooting procedure until you solve your problems.

Comment

dt150 running issues.

Peter, & dkshooter it sounds like you might have fuel issues, but could be timing related. I am guessing both these motors are EFI's. I would check the 2 timing coils and the gear counting coils, and magnets under the flywheel. If these items check then I'd go to through the fuel system on the motors. The VST, and both fuel pumps (low & high pressure). The gauge is important if you have a sensor that's bad, but as keaker said, don't bypass.
                      Have to go for now. Use the Manuel, and follow the test procedures.
                      Last edited by Solarman; 06-26-2014, 07:30 AM.

Comment

dt150 running issues

Will add that your problems could be as simple as a TPS sensor.
                        It is helpful to mention the specifics of your motor, when using a forum for help. If either of your motors use carbs instead of EFI, then many things are different.
                        The gauge is a vital link in the system and if not working could be a part of the problems.
                        The ECM could be at fault, but would be one of the last on my check list.
                        Good luck, but remember, those of us on this end of the forum operate from your descriptions, we can't put our minds on the problem without your help.

Comment

help?

yes mine is a efi I just got back from the river still not able to get past 2000 rpms with the sensors disconnected. last year I purchased a new ECM when installed the motor toped out great for about 30-45 sec. then back to 2000 rpms please let me know what other questions I can answer

thanks guys you have no idea how frustrating this is

Comment

sorry for making this in 2 posts but I have done so much to this motor I really cannot remember it all I did clean the VST and replaced the high pressure fuel pump I am not sure how you check the timing coils and the gear counting coils, and magnets under the flywheel? I am afraid that I don't trust the gauge.

thanks again!

Comment

I am having what sounds like the same exact problem with my 1993 DT150S EFI.

I have checked almost all the sensors. Only sensors I have left are the oil sensors. So have fuel side to check as well. Fuel pressure, regulator operation, pump checks.

Here is what I found so far.

Ignition coils(two spark plug ones) no resistance reading between the feed wire and plug wires. Dont know if this is right.
                              The feed wire and ground reads .05 ohms.
                              Two plug wires read 16K up to 29K ohms tested between the two of them.

The V1 for the TVS (throttle valve sensor) is reading .5volts dc. Manual says it should read 3.9 to 4.6. So if this is right I have an ICU(ignition control unit) thats bad.

Test your TVS by turning ignition on disconnect TVS set multimeter to DC volts (black meter wire to black wire on connection, red meter wire to brown/white stripe wire. What is that reading that is your V1).

Also I do agree, this forum seems slow to respond or answer. Someone on here has to be a Suzuki Outboard Certified Mechanice that can explain all the specs and test procedures. And if they have ever seen this before.

Comment

Working...
                              X