No announcement yet.

2005 df 70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moonlighter, there is a pretty good sized white wire with red dots on it that connects to the hot on the starter soloniod is that the wire you were referring to? You say that that should connect right to the battery itself? Thank you guys for all your help!!!

Comment

No. leave that wire where it is.

I think he was saying sometimes they connected a white write at the starter itself, positive terminal. If not there let him know.

Comment

The White wire I'm referring to is a smaller wire that powers the ECU. It splits in the harness and also goes up to the dash for gauges.

Here is a picture of one that was incorrectly wired to the starter on a DF140. It is the White wire with the tag in it that says "Batt+".

I would still check this wire anyway regardless of whether it is attached at the starter motor or that battery + or the + side of the main battery switch. It should have an inline fuse in it and as I mentioned earlier, it splits and goes with the main harness to the dark. Check it all the way, engine to battery and up to dash. every join etc. I have heard of a number of motors where they would crank but not start, or start but not run consistently and it came back to poor or damaged connections on this white wire.

Comment

I've been a Suzuki Dealer for the last 15 years and since '05 when the
          ECM "white wire" needed to be connected. I have been connecting them to
          the starter solenoid since then and have had 0 comebacks due to a problem
          with the wire hooked up there. I have on the other hand have had bad wires
          where techs would connect to battery or battery switch. The wire would have to
          run through the wiring loom with the harness, shift and throttle cables etc.
          It has to go through motor well boots, bulkheads and rigging tubes that sometimes go all the way up to a center console that might have the batteries installed there. I've had broken wires, connector issues, and corrosion issues
          with this wire. The short run from the bullet connector to the battery cable on
          the solenoid is a sufficient 12v supply to the ECM.

Comment

Originally posted by MauiBoatdoc View Post
            I've been a Suzuki Dealer for the last 15 years and since '05 when the
            ECM "white wire" needed to be connected. I have been connecting them to
            the starter solenoid since then and have had 0 comebacks due to a problem
            with the wire hooked up there. I have on the other hand have had bad wires
            where techs would connect to battery or battery switch. The wire would have to
            run through the wiring loom with the harness, shift and throttle cables etc.
            It has to go through motor well boots, bulkheads and rigging tubes that sometimes go all the way up to a center console that might have the batteries installed there. I've had broken wires, connector issues, and corrosion issues
            with this wire. The short run from the bullet connector to the battery cable on
            the solenoid is a sufficient 12v supply to the ECM.
            What does Suzuki recommend?

Comment

Suzuki's factory wiring, early engines from starter solenoid through a short red wire to a terminal block, then a white wire through a sixty and thirty amp fuse to the main control relay, from the main control relay to a terminal block then to the ignition switch. On late engines from the starter to the control relay, then a separate white wire from the battery through a fifteen amp fuse to the ignition switch. That's how my late df140 is wired.

Comment

Suzuki recommends long way to the battery. They will deny it but, every Suzuki tech rep that I have talked to regarding a broken of corroded "white wire" has said to run the wire to the starter solenoid, shorter run for a small wire, make sure fuse is in place.

Comment

df70, 2005

Mercman, we are all glad you are well again, happy holidays as well.

Here are your previous posts about the white wire.

It appears that the small white wire for the ECM according to the last post should go through a 15amp fuse to the starter solenoid. But make sure you understand which wire, and which side of the solenoid it goes to.
                  Good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X