20 HP 4 Stroke EFI - Manual Starter Locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 HP 4 Stroke EFI - Manual Starter Locking

This is my first 4 stroke - 2015 20 HP Suzuki EFI with manual start. When I pull the manual recoil starter (in neutral) it seems to lock every other time. I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the neutral safety lock cable and assembly but they said that there was nothing ever wrong with it. The last time the dealer put the motor on his tank and asked me to show how I started it. Dealer said that the recoil starter locking is a compression lock normally associated with a high compression 4 stroke engine. He showed me that you have to pull the rope slowly a few times until you hear a hissing sound as it decompresses and then you pull more forcefully. I never had this issue with 2 strokes so i find it very annoying. Is this the nature of the beast with a 4 stroke? If so I am tempted to have my 2 stroke back. Your comments are appreciated.
    Last edited by Evin200; 01-12-2020, 11:05 AM.

I also wish 2 strokes were still around.

The only time I've ever had a problem with a recoil starter lock was if i had the motor in gear (accidentally), or too much throttle.

I haven't heard of this decompression problem?

Good luck.

Comment

Recoil starting is made easy with a modern design recoil assembly, a decompression system built into the camshaft and batteryless fuel injection

The above is a copy/paste from Suzuki sales brochure for their smaller engines, I wonder if there is an issue with your decompression system. The dealer thinks not. That being said I have come across some small engines are a real bugger to pull start. I have a Husqvarna chain saw that I have to put my knee on it, work the cord to get the piston positioned just right and pull with everything I have while worrying that I’ll pull a back muscle. The saw has some sort automatic decompression system that kicks in after or during the first pull, it’s that first pull that is so hard to achieve. Subsequent pulls are easier than that first pull so I’m confident that the decompression system is working it’s just painful to get to the second and third pull.

Once you struggle with the first pull, is subsequent pulls easier than the first pull?

Comment

My recollection is that it can also lock on the second or third attempt. There is no consistent pattern to the locking. Sometimes it will turn the motor freely at the first pull but at other times it could lock 2-3 times in succession. With the EFI it normally only needs one effective pull to start it.It seems that most of the newer 20's are sold with electric start and the dealer has advised that this is not an issue with the electric. My brother has a 25 HP Suzuki EFI with electric start and never experiences any locking issue. Do Yamaha's and Honda's also have this issue? I have now brought it to the dealer three times. If there is a fix I only have one year of warranty left. My DF20AS has the same block and starter recoil system as the 9.9 and 15 HP. Has anyone else had similar issues? Any further feedback is appreciated.

Comment

When you say “lock” are you referring to say something is jammed within the recoil/engine? Not a compression issue?

Comment

Thanks for your interest. I am not really sure whether it is a starter jam or compression lock but all of the neutral safety lock components were replaced by the dealer. When I pull the starter, the rope will only come out for about an inch until it comes to a sudden lock. It feels more like a metallic lock. I'm guessing that it may not be the recoil starter. When you remove the lanyard safety cord it never locks but that may be because there is likely no spark when the safety cord is removed.

Comment

Sorry to jump on your post but I’m new and I’m trying to figure out how to start a post? Can someone message me?

Comment

Originally posted by Jody beavin View Post
                Sorry to jump on your post but I’m new and I’m trying to figure out how to start a post? Can someone message me?

Your Messaging is turned off. I answered you yesterday so here is a screen shot 7177A82C-1800-4C85-A906-FA355F95F891.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Evin200 View Post
                  Thanks for your interest. I am not really sure whether it is a starter jam or compression lock but all of the neutral safety lock components were replaced by the dealer. When I pull the starter, the rope will only come out for about an inch until it comes to a sudden lock. It feels more like a metallic lock. I'm guessing that it may not be the recoil starter. When you remove the lanyard safety cord it never locks but that may be because there is likely no spark when the safety cord is removed.
                  I initially thought compression but you would be able to work through that with the recoil. Other thoughts would be a nut/bolt worked loose and is jamming the recoil/flywheel? The recoil itself has an issue internally? The neutral cable safety lock that the dealer replaced I THINK would go to a neutral safety switch, likewise with a throttle interlock(prevents starting with throttle applied) would go to some sort of switch to prevent starting in gear or with throttle applied. Problem with that theory is the safety switches would prevent starting by eliminating spark(electrical)not by jamming the recoil(mechanical) Your last statement has me wondering if there is a mechanical lock with the lanyard disconnect?? Can’t see it but I’m no expert. I’m surprised that the dealership didn’t dig deeper since they claim that neutral start interlock cable wasn’t the issue. I don’t own a small outboard so my thoughts might not be worth the time to read my post. Sorry I can’t be more help, your term “lock” to me points to the recoil. Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable members will chine in. Maybe a trip back to the dealer is in order? Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Murray. I don't think that this is normal so I need to keep pursuing it, Anyone else who has some thoughts or experience with a manual 15 or 20 Suzuki EFI would be appreciated.

Comment

Pull the recoil off and see but that might cause warranty issues.

Comment

Evin...did you ever find what is going on with your 20hp? I have one that seems to be doing the same thing. Even feels hard with plugs removed

Comment

Hi Lars 62 - I have pretty well accepted that this is normal for the manual start 20 HP. Most recently, I had a discussion with the Suzuki Canada Service Manager. He as well sounded convincing by saying that this particular motor has very high compression and that is just the nature of the beast. He said that this is not an issue with the electric start version because the starter motor just powers through the compression lock issue.
                          One thing that I noticed is that it never locks when starting a cold engine. After the engine has been run, stopped and the restarted when still warm it seems to always lock. This is very annoying when fishing and you have to move from one spot to another and this have to restart often.
                          I do wonder though if people with 20 HP 4 stroke Yamahas or Hondas are having similar issues. It would be interesting to hear back from them.

Comment

Hi Evan200. Just picked myself up a 2021 DF9.9B. Experiencing the exact same issue. Do you have any new information about this? Almost seems like the engine has to be turned over slightly before the decompression system kicks in, but if have no idea. Just hope it's not an issue. Seems to be 3 of us on this post now that have this issue so maybe it is just the nature of the beast.

Comment

Hi Suzuki9.9er,

I have nothing new on this and am am still frustrated with this issue. I use this engine for fishing so I often need to restart to get to and stay in the right spot. Sometimes it would only make half a revolution upon a pull with the result that it feels like the engine is flooding with too much fuel. When this happens it makes it even harder to start. Otherwise it is a good reliable engine with no other issues.
                              It would be nice to hear from some Yamaha or Honda owners, in this horsepower range, to see if their manual starting 4 stroke engines have similar issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X