Please help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!!!

Finally after all the parts came in I installed the new water pump and housing today. Installed new safety shut off and installed a water separator. She started right up and had a very small water stream coming from the tell tale. Then after 20 seconds... Nothing. I pulled the thermostats and steam came out. I started with thermostats pulled and no water came out of the holes. What could be wrong? I'm running on muffs.

I wouldn’t expect water coming out of any hoses, outboards are self draining. My guess would be with the installation, could be the key that holds the impeller to the driveshaft? Veins of the impeller pointing in the correct direction? I guess what I’m asking is how confident are you on the install?

Comment

I'm fairly confident. I'm not an outboard mechanic but I am an industrial Mechanic. It was pretty straightforward. I installed the impeller new plate new gasket new housing I greased the edges of the blade with petroleum jelly and turned it counter clockwise. There was water for about 2 minutes after install then nothing. The water flow wasn't strong out of the tell tale but it was there. I'm hoping it's because I was using muffs... I've read on here and other sites that certain outboards don't like running on muffs. Nearest lake is an hour from me so I can't just stop it on to test. If needed I'll build a test tank big enough to hold water above the cavitation plate and see if it works that way

Comment

A test tank would be worth the effort since as you have pointed out muffs don’t alway work. My service manual states turn the driveshaft clockwise which is the same as turning the impeller counterclockwise?

Comment

I guess I can see what they mean when saying turning the shaft clockwise will turn the impeller counter clockwise... Looking at the impeller in the housing the impeller would be turning opposite of looking at it from above.
          Last edited by Importkillerrr; 05-26-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The Drive Shaft should be turned Clockwise when seating the Water Pump housing over the Impeller. Looking from Top to Down.

Maybe the Key fell out?

https://www.google.ca/search?source=...Oe_Qb94J_gCA24

Comment

Put it in a drum of water or in the river/ocean. Make sure the cav plate is at least 3” under water if in a drum.

These engines can be fussy about running on muffs. Most of us find that the most effective muffs are the small round ones with soft rubber cups. And you need strong water pressure.

Comment

Getting a big plastic 55g dum from a buddy this afternoon.... I'll report back the results

Comment

Did you replace the housing that holds impeller. As you know it calls for silicone. One time I replaced impeller hosing and used too much silicone. A small bit got into tubing and restricted flow through several pathways. I pulled each hose while the water was hooked to rinse out port (not running the engine). It gives ample pressure and I was able to discover which pathway was blocked. Using compressed air, a small shot blew out the restriction. I would not have known I created an issue if it hadn't plugged the pee pathway.
                  Briscoe

Comment

Success!!! Instant strong water flow out of the piss hole and both water alarms and indicator lights shut off once the water followed for a few seconds. Motor won't idle without having the idle arm lifted and playing with the choke occasionally but there's only 5 gallons of fuel and it hasn't been run for like 7 years ago I'm hoping if I run some carb cleaner through the gas and get it out on the water Itll start to run a bit better. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

You may still have to soak, then blow out all the fuel & air passages with compressed air, and the jets to clean carbs out properly, carb cleaner is bad for 2 stroke motors. You can use an additive in the fuel tank, but the best method is cleaning them. Then seeing them up by the manual.

Good luck, post back on how it does on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Importkillerrr View Post
                        Success!!! Instant strong water flow out of the piss hole and both water alarms and indicator lights shut off once the water followed for a few seconds. Motor won't idle without having the idle arm lifted and playing with the choke occasionally but there's only 5 gallons of fuel and it hasn't been run for like 7 years ago I'm hoping if I run some carb cleaner through the gas and get it out on the water Itll start to run a bit better. Thanks for the help guys!
                        7 year old fuel, get that fuel out of the tank before adding fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post

7 year old fuel, get that fuel out of the tank before adding fresh.
                          That was done already a few weeks ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X