AGM batterys voiding the Suzuki warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGM batterys voiding the Suzuki warranty

Has anyone had Suzuki void their warranty due to the use of AGM batterys ?

My batterys are located inside the cabin along with the helm and controls and concerned about outgassing of standard lead acid batterys.

Thanks !!

Thanks

Never had the chance to put your question to the test since I've never needed anything done under warranty. But I sure can't think of any reason that it would void the warranty. Both my batteries are AGMs and sit under my center console. Nary a problem.... not with charging them, and not with starting the motor or running the electronics. And I've seen nothing in the owners' manual advising against it.
    Last edited by Harper; 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I ask because the Suzuki district sales manager told the owner of the dealership working on my motors low compression problem that the AGM batteries voided my warranty which has put a 3 month hold on submitting a claim.

I am trying to get it going again but if Suzuki hasn't made it an issue I hope not to be singled out and all the AGM batteries are less than a year old from West Marine

Comment

Geez! That sounds like a crock. What would the batteries have to do with compression? NOTHING, that's what!!
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

The owners manual clearly specifies lead-acid type, so any other type might give Suzuki a ground to decline liaibility...
          DF115A - Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605

Comment

My owners manual (2009 DF90A) recommends not using anything but lead acid type batteries since they “might not be compatible to Suzuki’s charging system”. Nowhere does it say that warranty might be void if using AGM batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by captainmike454 View Post
              Has anyone had Suzuki void their warranty due to the use of AGM batterys ?

My batterys are located inside the cabin along with the helm and controls and concerned about outgassing of standard lead acid batterys.

Thanks !!

Have your lawyer wright them a letter.

Comment

AGM batteries ARE lead acid batteries.

Lithium would be a different story though.

Comment

Manual further says:
                  "The use of Maintenance-Free, sealed, or Gel-
                  Cell batteries is not recommended because
                  they may not be compatible with Suzuki's
                  charging system"

DF115A - Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605

Comment

The key words in that are “may not be compatible”. The reason they say that is simply because Suzuki has not tested every one of those types of batteries with their engines, so they cant say.

So, unless they can show that

1. the battery used IS INDEED not compatible with Suzuki’s charging system, AND
                    2. that incompatibility caused the low compression problems

they dont have a leg to stand on as far as denying warranty is concerned.

The chances of getting past even the first of those steps is almost zero. AGM charging profiles these days are rarely any different to standard flooded cell batteries, and neither are sealed maintenance free any different. My dealer actually installed maintenance free batteries when my engine went on!!

Personally I think your dealer is making up excuses as to why things are taking so long.

Comment

The reason Suzuki want you to use flooded lead acid batteries, their charging system runs between 14.7 and 15.2 volts, ideal for flooded lead acid, but on the high end for agm sealed lead acid, the reason being if the charge system did charge to 15.2 volts the agm batteries could pop their vents, in saying that I have run two agm batteries for over eight years on a df 140 and still going, but I have never seen my volt meter go over 14.7 volts.

I also have off grid solar and I can tell you from experience that when you over charge an agm battery and smell the acid venting, the battery will never be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                        The reason Suzuki want you to use flooded lead acid batteries, their charging system runs between 14.7 and 15.2 volts, ideal for flooded lead acid, but on the high end for agm sealed lead acid, the reason being if the charge system did charge to 15.2 volts the agm batteries could pop their vents, in saying that I have run two agm batteries for over eight years on a df 140 and still going, but I have never seen my volt meter go over 14.7 volts.

I also have off grid solar and I can tell you from experience that when you over charge an agm battery and smell the acid venting, the battery will never be the same.
                        So, does that mean that the AGM/gel battery would be the thing that potentially gets damaged? Not the Suzuki engine charging system?

If so, how would this potentially affect engine warranty?

Comment

Mate I have got no Idea what they mean about engine warranty, I thought they would be covering their ass about battery warranty using agm against flooded lead acid. When my batteries die I will be fitting agm batteries back in the boat.

Comment

I brought my non-starting df90a to an "authorized suzuki dealer and repair shop" recently and they replaced the starter for $1400 half on labor and half on the part. Atrocious, and still under "warranty" I'd love to hear suzuki's reply on this, and I doubt the issue was their part, and it all still does the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X