Remap/chiptune df80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remap/chiptune df80?

Hi all, new member from NL here. If i’m not mistaking the df70, Df80 and df90 (2010 and later) are essentially the same engine. I have the df80 and think that the engine could be tuned (through remapping the ecm) to 90hp+. There are some companies out here that offer such a service. I’m aware of potential consequences but for the sake of the learning: is remapping (chiptuning) possible? Is there anybody with experience?

ps. The boat I run is a 7m rescue boat from aluminum. Not relevant to my question, though.

hoping for some insight! Looking forward to any input.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...ki-owner-df40a

Not really what you asked, this is the only modification that I’m aware of on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Murray. That is an interesting read! My take out is that gaining hp and torque within the same “motor type” (i.e. df30 and 40. Also df70, 80 and 90) can be done through modifying the air intake restrictor rather than changing the ECU. The ECU seems to compensate too lean fuel mixtures which could cause overheating.

anybody in the forum that did something similar to df70 or df80? I will try to get my hands on a df90 restrictor. Not sure where to get those over here.

Comment

As follow up on this post: I'll remove and ship the ECU to a nearby shop that is specialized in remapping all sorts of engines like jetski's and outboards. They claim that i.e. the DF80 will get close to DF100 spec. Checking the air intake for this engine and swopping it for a larger intake doesn't seem to work out: the flames retarder (air intake) is the same mesh for the DF70/80/90. A tune/remap costs approx. €400 (450 USD -ish). they also claim that the org software will be saved and can be re-flashed if needed.

Comment

Did you get any baseline data pre reprogramming? Keep us posted on the results.

Comment

I yet need to send the ecu to the tuning company but I’ll ask for that. Will keep you all posted

Comment

So, was able to locate and remove the ecu. I shipped it to the tuning comp and expect to have it returned in a few days. They claim that the performance will be close to the df100 spec. I'll post my experience after some testing

Comment

Update: the ecu was returned to me after remapping. I re-installed it in the engine and went for a test. The engine started without issues but the result of the remap is unnoticeable. I cannot measure acceleration normally off course but I could feel there's no change and top speed + max rpm didn't not change. normally my engine runs approx. 5100-5200 rpm (depending on i.e. pollution of the hull) and I expected the engine now to go to perhaps 6000rpm orzo. The company that remapped the ecu offered to run the mapping software again or -when it doesn't work- refund me.

Ps the claim was that the df80 would get a spec like df100....I rather have the 100 than the refund

update to follow asap

Comment

Your engine should have been running at 6000rpm plus or minus with the ECU from the factory. I have a 2009 DF90A and I can hit 6200rpms.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...the-right-prop

Might apply to you?

Comment

Much appreciated! Some work to do by the looks of it.

Comment

So, clearly end of season I have been able to test the remapped ecu a few times. max rpm is now 5300 and the engine seems to accelerate easier. so the tune seems to have sorted some effect although I would like to see more. I'm considering changing the prop now to -indeed- go towards 6200 rpm. the prop I currently have is a 3x13,75x17...anybody an educated guess to get more speed out my boat (Suzuki df80, tuned, boat weight approach 1100kg; 7x2,5m size)

edit the prop I have now has some damage (hit some rocks here and there....) hence need to change anyway

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDman View Post
                        So, was able to locate and remove the ecu. I shipped it to the tuning comp and expect to have it returned in a few days. They claim that the performance will be close to the df100 spec. I'll post my experience after some testing
                        What Tuning Company? USA company? Are there any in the USA? I am interested in doing something for my DF70

Comment

It is a generic tuning company that is specialized in tuning of -so it seems- all combustion engines (car/motor/nautic). I'm based in EU. But for sure in US there are remapping/tuning businesses that can do the same.

Comment

Your engine is well over propped.

You would get a greater performance improvement, including improved hole shot, mid range and economy simply by getting the correct prop to allow the engine to rev to between 6000-6200rpm.

Assuming, of course, that the 80hp engine is a suitable choice for the hull you have - in other words, that 80hp is not significantly less than recommended by the manufacturer for that hull.

Based on your latest report, at best, you have picked up 100- 200rpm from the ecu “tune”. I wouldn’t be happy for paying so much for that minimal gain at all.

Comment

Thanks for your input Moonlighter. I'm actually looking at installing another prop. Currently my engine has a 3x13.75x17 am I right in assuming that I should start using a 3x13.75x15 to achieve the higher RPM?

Comment

Working...
                              X