Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 years and still having shutting off issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 years and still having shutting off issues.

2005 Suzuki DF 225 TXK5. 600 hrs. On a 22' 2005 Fish Master Travis Edition CC.

This engine usually starts right up and runs great. Then once in a while it just feels like you dropped the anchor and it starts sputtering and shaking until it shuts off. Then it will try to run but keeps stalling and shaking. Eventually it will start back up and run perfect. Then it will repeat this issue but doesn't throw a code. Last time out we were fishing a bridge got there fine. Fished and when we went to leave it started perfect we went about 5 ft. and it shut off sputtering and shaking then started and ran perfect the rest of the trip. Then when we got back to the Lake house launched it and it ran great. Last week I wanted to put a new transducer on it so I started it took off to the launch and it did it again. Finally got it started and out of the water. Of course this has never happened when they were testing it at any shop.

So I have had three Suzuki shops check to fix this problem over three years. The first time in it had a sensor code. Between them they have replaced basically all sensors, all filters, both fuel pumps, replaced fuel lines, check valves, ICU, multiple tune-ups etc. It has been hooked to a computer 4 times. The only thing that ever popped up after the initial sensor code was over rev which they determined it was a faulty code and replaced the tachometer because the light was stuck on. Basically the shops after the first one said there is absolutely nothing wrong and the motor runs great. Which is true until it doesn't.
    Last edited by Jsdeano; 06-24-2022, 10:50 AM.

Possibly loosing spark to some of the plugs? I’m no expert on electrical but I’ve had a loose contact on the plug lead wire and would run fine then out of the blue start running rough and loosing power then correct itself. Intermittent electrical problems can be a real challenge. If you haven’t gotten a genuine Suzuki service manual I’d suggest you get one.

Comment

What position is the throttle in when this problem occurs

Comment

Both. It can be idle in neutral , idle in gear or WOT. It doesn't care when it decides to do it it just shuts down always sputtering for a second or two then off.

Comment

Maybe a bad "white wire" connection, loose connectors?

Comment

We had something similar happen to our 140. Ended up being one of the coils . Took a volt meter to it and one tested fine, the other threw an insane number out. It kept throwing the motor into some type of limp mode. Changed the bad one and it resolved our issue. It Definately sounds like an electrical issue of some kind. Wanted to throw this idea out in case you hadn't checked the coils.

Comment

Working...
            X