No announcement yet.

AGM Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bezerk, just calm down. Your whole attitude in ther first post in this thread made this morning was defensive and your comments uncalled for. Nobody told any mechanic he was full of shit. What was said is that's how he feels about what he was told. He never said that he told the machanic that.

As Art said, he wouldn't say that to anyone, mechanic or otherwise. No decent human being would. But everyone has his opinion about the quality of work or advice that they are paying for, and if good, will recommend that person. If bad, will also warn others about his bad experience.

You were not offering your experience when you went after Greg Moore about his comment. You instead acted like one whose primary interest was starting a monkey fight. I responded as I did partly because of that, and also because fo your comment about Suzuki not recommending AGM batteries.

Personally, I think you're wrong. I don't think you're full of shit, but unless you can scan and post a page from a Suzuki publication that says what you purport, I'm not believing what you've said.

Now it used to be, when AGM (or any other deep cycle type batteries) were a fairly new product that they were not recommended as a starting battery and not used in cars, either. They were not good at providing the high discharge amperage that was needed to start an internal combustion engine. But the technology has come a long way, and the AGMs are now used in autos, boats and light planes as start batteries. All I can surmise from your stated experience in the example you gave is that it was a bad battery. Not because it was of the AGM type, but merely because it was bad.
    Last edited by Harper; 10-28-2017, 07:38 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yes, very curious about the claim that Suzuki service manuals state anything about what type of battery - I just checked my (genuine Suzuki) service manual for 90-140 MY up to 2012 and it doesnt mention anything at all about battery types - it just gives the AH and cca specs.

It is of course possible that Suzuki has issued service bulletins about batteries and types to use or not use, they issue lots of bulletins (only available to Suzuki dealers of course) about many issues that are not covered in service manuals.

Comment

have spent a little bit of time educating myself to the different types
        this marine service went to great length to explain the three types of batteries
        Skyler Marine Services, North Palm Beach - Florida | Which battery technology is best for a boat?
        bottom line:
        Hands down, without question, the best battery you can use for most applications (dual purpose) on your boat is an AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat. While not a cure-all, it fits the bill for a majority of applications due to the fact that most boats utilize batteries for more than one purpose, and many have more than one type of charging for their battery banks. An exception to this would be, as mentioned, a purely deep cycle application where only one type of specifically designed charging was used. The benefits of the AGM over even the slightly larger CCA's of a starting type of the traditional lead acid battery are just too hard to ignore. Safety, durability, capacity, longevity, warranty, the AGM has it all.

i’m done
        Art

Comment

I would like to add my experience and insight to this thread. I am not trying to bash anyone or tell them they are wrong.

I have added the requirements for my DF140A.

They do not recommend Deep Cycle, Maintenance-Free, sealed, or gel batteries.
          AGM are Maintenance-Free sealed batteries.

The main issue I feel they are trying to address is AGM batteries can charge over 4 times faster than a regular lead acid one, and they are sensitive to over charging. This was mentioned by Greg.

The charging systems on most outboards maybe at a fixed float level of >14.4v The Yamaha service manuals have the same recommendations for their outboard batteries. With that being said, i know many people that use AGM batteries without any issues. The other majority use Maintence-Free batteries. Also, the requirements tell me that outboard manufactures want consumers to use the lead acid batteries with the fill ports. It's almost impossible to get those just anywhere now days. I use two dual purpose lead acid Maintence-Free batteries.

I work on motorcars. Let me tell you about BMW's. If you replace a battery, it has to be registered. You have to tell the vehicle wether it's a lead acid or AGM battery, plus the ratings, etc. If not, it can wreck havoc on the electrical system, cause the vehicle not to start, run poorly, over charge, or not charge the battery at all. Some vehicle's come to me immediately when they change their batterys at the autoparts store, or I have had some work without an issue for over a year or so.

So if I had an electrical problem I though it could be related to the recommended battery type. I would start there as Bezerk mentioned. I try to eleminate the basics first on an uncommon, unknown, or unusual issues.

Over all in my experience I would use what your prefernce is, and if you experience an issue then I would start with basics first and go with factory recommendations for troubleshooting. It may or may not be the issue, but it could help in determining that.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Nayna32; 10-28-2017, 09:00 PM.
          Henry

Comment

Art

Thanks, very interesting read. That article would make a good "Sticky"

Comment

Thank you, Henry. No such statements in the DF150/175 manuals. It doesn't rule out using AGM batteries, as long as they meet the specifications. AGMs do have slightly different ideal charge curves, but the better onboard plug-in AC chargers sold for boats have the ability to be set specifically for AGMs, as would your BMW example. And I've never seen a car that had a problem using AGMs. Many people (me included) opt for the AGMs made either by Odyssey, Northstar, Optima, Diehard Platinum and now being made by vitually every battery manufacturer.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
                Been running a pair of sealed, maintenance free batteries for 7 years now.

They were installed by my Suzuki dealer. And still the original pair are going strong - touch wood!

No bad things have happened as a result.
                ''''''''''Mine have been on my boat coming up seven years too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakess View Post
                  Was told Zuks do not run good With AGM batteries from my certified mechanic whom was told by the Florida Zuk rep. when he was in town trying to troubleshoot my RPM fluctuations (see my post). My boat is in the shop due to starting issues this past weekend. He mentioned that to me again. I called my boat manufacturer and they told me they put AGMs in all their boats and never had an issue. Does anyone have any experience or issues with AGM batteries?
                  ''''''' What are the starting problems that you have been having, you may have a voltage drop problem effecting your rpm problem.

Comment

For your reading pleasure Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

page 9 of the df150-175 owner manual. doesn't seem to be in the service manual.

Comment

page 9? where did that come from? Did I miss something?
                        and from what I know all manuals have been set up by chapter/page number
                        the manual I referred to earlier for the 150/175 has only a couple of pages
                        relating to the battery. page 1/17 and pages 2/22-2/23

Here is some additional information obtained from a Seloc manual 1996-2007 all models 2.2hp to 300hp 4 stroke
                        Page 4/49. Avoid using a maintenance free battery’s on all outboards that are not voltage regulated —
                        what Suzuki models you might ask fits that description?
                        refer to page 2-85 General engine specs
                        the 9.9HP 1995-2004 and the 15HP 1995-2004 and the 2.5HP which is NA
                        all other engines are listed as fully regulated with regulator/rectifier

I ask, what part of this am I misunderstanding?
                        Art

Comment

He's referring to the owners' manual, Art, not the service manual. And here's pp8-9 of the '07 DF150/175 owners manual, the only two pages in the manual addressing the battery.

img007.jpg

No mention of battery type. I, too, am through with this subject.
                          Last edited by Harper; 10-30-2017, 10:41 AM.
                          Mike
                          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                          X