2007 DF 140 Tilt and Trim Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF 140 Tilt and Trim Problem

If you have been reading my posts, i bet you think i bought a lemon. Maybe i did. Anyway, i was having problems with the trim, wouldnt go up unless it was under power. Now it wont go up at all. Could there be some contacts that need cleaning, fuse to check? Please help with ideas.

Thanks.

a little more information please
    I am making the assumption you are referring to the tilt/trim located on the remote
    what is the tilt/trim on the starboard side of the engine doing?
    are you experiencing any other power problems?
    Art

Comment

Tilt/Trim

Yes, i am referring to the tilt and trim on the remote. The switch on the motor does not trim up either. It wants to trim down but its already all the way down. I don't have any other electrical problems on the boat. Just looking for a place to start looking for answers.
      Thanks.

Comment

My tilt and trim is located on the Port side of the engine. If that matters.

Comment

Check the tilt limit switch in the middle of the tilt axle. It may have slipped out of position and thus preventing any tilt or trim. Check this FIRST, before messing around with any relays, fuses, or wiring. If you can't find it, post back and I'll refer you to a picture (after I find it in another thread on the forum).
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I've had two trim motors go bad on me, one I got genuine Suzuki,other I got from amazon as a remanned with one year warranty for $89

Comment

Go to this thread to see the tilt limit switch. It's the same as on your DF140.
              http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...html#post23436
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mate it should take you five minutes to find that problem with a test light.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                  Check the tilt limit switch in the middle of the tilt axle. It may have slipped out of position and thus preventing any tilt or trim. Check this FIRST, before messing around with any relays, fuses, or wiring. If you can't find it, post back and I'll refer you to a picture (after I find it in another thread on the forum).
                  I believe mine is positioned where is should be. Pictures attached. What is my next step? Not sure how to test relays and electrical parts, but with a little help i can do it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                    Mate it should take you five minutes to find that problem with a test light.
                    Please explain and i will try. I am not a mechanic but mechanically inclined. Just need some guidance.

Comment

you should be able to hear if the trim relay is doing its job to even just hear it clicking. Just follow where the green and blue wire go into the motor from the trim motor. If that relay is clicking while hitting the switch either on the motor or binnacle,and motor doesn't tilt up, down, or either I would say you need a new trim motor. I've heard of switches going bad but i'm betting motor

Comment

Tilt/Trim

When I push the switch on the remote or the motor to trim down I hear the motor working, when I push it to trim up I don't hear anything, not even a relay clicking.

Comment

ok so that narrows down a little.? When you hear the motor working does it actually move the motor down at all or no? And no movement or even clicking at the relay when trying to use the switch up? I would check those two wires, blue and green for corrosion, slices in wire, electrolysis, green fuzz etc. The green moves motor down(green grass) and the blue raises the motor(blue sky). But the test light like was suggested before would be a big help if you don't see anything evident wrong with either wire. The fact you are not hearing any clicking when hitting the raise motor switch would say that could be the relay, but that might not tell the whole story? Still could be a switch, relay or trim motor at that point?

Comment

You've still not mentioned anything about the tilt limit switch. Yes, in your pictures your cam seems properly positioned, and the switch lever is not pushed to engage the switch. So all that is proper. But have you checked the switch itself? If the switch plunger is stuck it will prevent trimming or tilting up, but not down. Looks like you have a lot of extra grease and other crap there on the tilt shaft that should probably be wiped off.
                            Mike
                            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Replaced switch on motor yet?

Maybe it's worth looking at replacing the switch on the out board. Mine went out when it was 4 yrs old. Never another issue, since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X