2007 DF90 Trim issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 DF90 Trim issue

down trim has been a little finicky the past couple months. Normally would go down but sometimes had to hit the button a couple times. Up seemed to work fine.

Now I have no response from down trim other than a click at solenoid. Same issue with console trim switch and switch on side of cowling. I think the up is starting to have issues now also.

Is this likely solenoid or issue with wiring?

I would start with a test light and start snooping around at the tilt trim relays

Comment

Sound that something is corroded and has been getting worse over time. The link below might help.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-power-failure

I’d suggest you start tracing wires checking for abnormalities. Pull all connections apart and check for corrosion. A genuine Suzuki service manual would help.
      How’s the fluid level? Could be a faulty PTT relay. What the condition of the battery?

Comment

Thanks for the help. kind of what I was thinking. Been planning on pulling the boat out of the water and doing a bunch of routine maintenance anyway. will dive into the wiring and connections and will update with what I find

Comment

S e l f f i x e r d o t c o m (All one word) has a genuine Suzuki service manual 2003-2007 DF 70 for $9 pdf. Well worth the money!

Comment

Thanks

btw- fluid level is good and battery is brand new and test good

Comment

Got the boat pulled and on the trailer. Didn’t really get to dive into it yet but it’s actually only the down that’s having issues. Up is working fine

Comment

I pulled apart the plug under the cowling that is powering the trim motor. When I apply 12v directly to either side of the wiring coming directly from the trim motor, both up and down function perfectly. So trim motor is fully functional

When I put a voltmeter to both side of the plug coming off the relay i get 12.6 volts when I go up or down with the switch

However, when I plug the connection back together I still don't have any down operation. Not sure what this means. To me everything seems to pass the test and should be functioning
                Last edited by jeffro22; 01-30-2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

What you are seeing is the open circuit voltage at the plug, connect it back up and test the circuit again while pressing the trim switch and see if the voltage drops.
                  When you test a circuit like the trim switch it is better to use a test light with at least one amp draw, that way you load up the circuit and if there is any resistance in the circuit the test light will not glow or will be dull.
                  If the voltage stays at 12.6 volts or the test light stays lit when the trim switch is pressed when you test it at the relay, move the test light or volt meter to the output side of the relay and see if the test light lights or the volt meter has voltage.
                  If there’s no voltage on the output it’s pointing towards a faulty relay, but before condemning it make sure the ground wire coming out the relay is making a good ground, otherwise when you press the trim switch the voltage will go into the relay coil winding and out through the ground wire and just click because the ground connection is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                    What you are seeing is the open circuit voltage at the plug, connect it back up and test the circuit again while pressing the trim switch and see if the voltage drops.
                    When you test a circuit like the trim switch it is better to use a test light with at least one amp draw, that way you load up the circuit and if there is any resistance in the circuit the test light will not glow or will be dull.
                    If the voltage stays at 12.6 volts or the test light stays lit when the trim switch is pressed when you test it at the relay, move the test light or volt meter to the output side of the relay and see if the test light lights or the volt meter has voltage.
                    If there’s no voltage on the output it’s pointing towards a faulty relay, but before condemning it make sure the ground wire coming out the relay is making a good ground, otherwise when you press the trim switch the voltage will go into the relay coil winding and out through the ground wire and just click because the ground connection is bad.

thanks! i didn't think of that way but it makes sense. I guess the load of the pump was needed to figure out it was the relay. I replaced the relay and it is fully functional again

Comment

Thanks for reporting back with what you did and that the solution worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X