dt65 oil reset problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt65 oil reset problems.

Hello all, I currently have another post that im hoping to have a bit of help on but a side question has come up. So to keep things simple il ask another question with a new post.

1980s dt65 oil injection.

I have a red LED light on the gauge,(oil symbol) I cant seem to get this light to go away. I have tried hitting the rest button(while engine is running) and this doesnt work.
    Ive tried hard wiring the plug by joining plug wires together to see if I can bypass it, but again didn't work.
    Im having issues with a cylinder not firing (Separate issue) but I feel that when I sort this issue the engine will still be in limp mode as the red oil symbol is showing and doesn't rest. I think on last trip out the limp mode kicked in.
    No beeping sounds. I think this model didn't have sound. could just be broke tho.
    Is the red oil can light supposed to stay on all the time ?
    I took the smaller oil filter under the oil tank off and it looked clean, has a little micro switch. Can anyone tell me how this switch works. push to on ect, because when I opened it, the micro switch was not making contact. Is that normal ? i assume it needs to be full of oil to make contact and when empty it looses contact sending signal of low oil. As it was empty when I cleaned it and was not making contact. May be other way round.
    I have also took out the oil level stick from inside the tank. I moved the floats up and down and can see the green leds moving up and down on gauge but the oil light will still not reset.
    Is there anything im missing. Can I bridge/ bypass the water flow temp sensor aswell ? I read somewhere this can cause limp mode. is this correct ? if so why is the oil light showing. Also if the oil reset button is broke can the wires be crossed to give it the signal to reset. I mean just touch the wires together.

I hope someone out there gets what im talking about. and thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by GeneralPatton; 11-26-2017, 12:18 AM.

you mention in this post you hit the “rest” bottom
    then at the bottom you say the oil reset button is broke
    in your other post you reference a”reset” button
    I’m not certain what you are referring to as the “reset button”
    there is a kill switch. that one is supposed to use in a case you might be thrown overboard
    if that is the wiring / button you refer to it is no wonder the oil change reminder is not resetting
    I am not familiar with the older 2 cycles but think to reset the oil change reminder the engine is not suppose to be running but woth just the key in the ‘on’ the on position
    and you activate the kill switch something like 5 times on a 10 second
    Art

Comment

Hi. Thanks gor the respose. Its not the kill switch. Its the oil restet switch on the outboard itself. I dont know if ts broke. Im just saying that due to it not working and need to know a way to bypass it. So that i can take the boat out of limp mode

Comment

That micro switch indicates oil flowing when motor is running. If that switch is bad, not making contact the motor will go into limp mode, light will be on. Check connections from guage to switch, if switch is working. If tank float is working as it seems, then that switch is only other device turning the light on, as i can remember.

Good luck.

Comment

Briiliant thanks. I wasnt sure if the micro switch should make contact when empty. As when i was cleaning it i noticed when no oil in it. It sits away from contact and unsure when full of oil if it makes contact I read somewhere that the water flow temp sensor will also be a possibillity and to check it. Is there any way to test which sensor is faulty. I dont have a manual.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and buy a manual. There is so much information you will be astounded. Maybe Santa will bring you one?

Comment

there is a listing of the manuals in a “sticky”
              look at the serial number plate on the engine and you should be able to identify the model year. - if you can’t find the model year post back the serial info and someone will help
              Art

Comment

The serial number is 06502.012126 can anyone help.

Comment

It's a 1990. There's a procedure for bleeding the air from the filter, lines, and pump, don't run the motor unless you're using a small fuel container of pre-mix (50-1). Which oil light is illuminated on the monitor gauge?

Comment

On the gauge is the red oil can light. Do you know the procedure to drain it. Will that put the light out as the actual reset button does nothing. Thanks for your help.

Comment

That light means there's a problem with the filter/sensor, either the filter is dirty or the sensor is shorted. Try disconnecting the connector to the filter/sensor, start it on pre-mix, and press the oil reset button. When that light is on, you are in limp mode, 3k rpm.

Comment

I tried disconnecting the plug going to the oil level stick inside in the oil bottle and smaller square looking filter. I pressed the reset button and the oil light is still on. Maybe the oil reset button isnt working ?? Can the rest button be joined or bridged to trigger the actiln of the button to reset.

Comment

Or is there another way to get it out of linp mode. ??.

Comment

Or is there any further instructions on the procedure to drain it. Maybe an air lock in oil pipes. ?? Thanks again. Sorry im not a mechanic

Comment

The oil filter is located between the tank and pump, should have two wires going to a connector, disconnect the connector. The motor must be running for the reset button to work, again, make sure you're on pre-mix until you bleed the oil system.

Comment

Working...
                              X