Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dt150, 95, running issues

Ok dk, I hear you.
    I need you to test your timing coils again, gear counting coil, just as you tested before. Post that info for us to see.
    A backfire means something in timing is out, if you can, your three timing coils should be identical, swap any two after doing the ohm test reading. Did you inspect your flywheel for loose magnets/ cracked epoxy?
    Let us know, we're still wanting you back in the water.

Comment

• Ok here are the values they are on the 2000 scale. The three pulser coils all read 209. the gear counter coil has a reading of 208 as for the magnets I did look at them they seemed small but they were sound and intact. Thank you!

Comment

Ok, dk. I need you to test the gear counting coil again, and this time move the flywheel, by hand back and forth so a tooth passes by it, do this several times.
        Let us know what happens.

Comment

• New readings

Well I don't know what this means but when I center the counter between teeth on the flywheel the ohm meter rests at 226 when I pass a tooth the reading goes everywhere I would say about 1/3 of the time it jumps to around 235 the rest of the readings range from no movement at all or a drop to around 209 or so I tried it going back and forth and continuing in the same direction. I hope this helps!

Comment

What do you mean by goes everywhere? It should change only because a tooth passes then it should go right back when a space is in front. It should be the same change each time.
            Check the distance between the ”center/ or eye” of the coil and a tooth right in front of it. If not proper distance it will be erratic. If the distance is right, and it doesn't read the same thing every time then it is probably no good.
            Let us know what it's doing.
            Last edited by Solarman; 09-26-2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• sorry for the delay went to Canada for some R&R I adjusted the coil counter and the readings are about the same. at rest between the teeth it reads 205 consistently when I turn the flywheel it fluctuates (since its so fast) I have a hard time catching the readings sometimes it drops to around 195 sometimes it jumps to around 225. Is there a better way to get these readings? I set the gap on the counter with a feeler gauge at 0.5 mm I think this is correct?
              thanks!

Comment

• dt150, running issues

Ok. Hopeful the r&r was good. My boat is my r&r. Anyway, back to tests. The gear counting coil has to read the same consistently. This is what the computer uses, along with your pulse/timing coils, to know exact position, rpm's of the crankshaft, to send a signal for each cylinder for the coil to fire. The tps/ TVs advances the timing, and speed of injections, as the butterfly valve opens to let more air in to mix.

Your pulse/ timing coils should be identical, plugs too. how do you know/identify on your motor which pulse coil plugs into which set of wires? Could they be plugged into the wrong plug?
                Let is know how it's going. No, we haven't forgotten you. Good luck.

Comment

• coils

The pulse coil wires go into a connector there are 4 wires I assume 1 wire is a common/ground and the other 3 are actually from the coils. anyway the plug is not reversible so I don't see how they could be plugged wrong? Is it time to check into getting a new gear counter?

Comment

• dang .. i just sold mine on ebay .. shipped out today

Comment

• I think Solarman meant plugs from the different coils mixed up? Ive read through and tried catching up on your problem dk. So you now have no spark at all to 1, 3 & 5 ever? Maybe CDI unit or ECU or as mentioned earlier a bad connection? I think there is a main power supply connection behind the ECU on these that can cause troubles if dirty or loose. Just with your earlier comment of the engine picking up when you tilt the engine would suggest that maybe wires are moving and making better contact?

Also were you measuring the gear counter by turning the flywheel with your hand?

Comment

Aquamort, the same CDI is used for all cylinders. Don't think it's bad. This is the 2 stroke, and almost all wires are outside the ECU. None that I know of under it. the comment of motor picking up when tilted, I believe a bit high, once it grabbed enough water it pulled itself down. So doesn't appear to be related to tilt.

Dk, I thought you said you adjusted the gear counter and it was reading good? Is it reading consistently, same when you move the teeth in front of it, and is it reading consistently, the same when a space passes in front? If erratic it needs to be replaced. Let us know

Comment

• Yep i know they just have one CDI unit. DK from where im sitting i think you need to do as Solarman suggested and make sure your (I believe there are 3) ignition timing coils are all ok. Other then that I would say Ignition Control unit or CDI or as mentioned a bad connection.

Have you tried swapping over the leads from your CDI to the coils from 1 3 or 5 to the other side to see if they the fire up? This would eliminate the coils and HT leads etc and put the problem at the CDI or before it ie timing coils or ICU. Good luck!

Comment

• answers

lots of good questions
                            Solarman: the gear counter at the last test after adjustment is consistent at 205 when centered on a tooth but when I turn the flywheel the meter jumps, sometimes it goes up and sometimes it goes down cant get an accurate reading it flashes so quickly. your observation on the speeding up on tilt I feel is correct it seems that when you take the load off the motor it revs.
                            Aquamort:I checked all 3 of the timing coils with a meter and they had the same resistance is there another way to check them? earlier when I was checking for spark there was some activity on 1,3&5 but I have checked all the wiring and could not find any loose wires or corrosion.
                            thanks again for your time!

Comment

Dk, if the gear counting coil isn't consistent on either the tooth, or the open space between the teeth then you should replace it.
                              The timing coils under the flywheel are the same way. If they are not consistent they should also be replaced.

Have you looked over your wiring diagram to see if there are any sensors, or any switches that tie into the timing coil wiring paths that could affect the circuit if they went bad? For example: if a water sensor, or a neutral switch, or maybe the kill switch were tied to the same circuit, and one went bad, it may disable the timing coil for those cylinders, preventing the plugs to fire?

There should be a way to remove the wires (make a diagram of which wire goes into which hole) of the timing coils from the plug (if all three are wired into the same plug). I suggested swapping two timing coils to see if that changed the firing of any of your plugs. Another way to check your timing coils (remove plugs - makes turning flywheel by hand easier) connect your ohm meter to just one coil at a time. Rotate the flywheel several times till your meter reading changes enough times, and note the changes. Do this same test for each of your 3 timing coils. All 3 are the same part number, and should read almost identically. If they do not read the same high, or low reading consistently, then they should be replaced.

Dk, if you find a bad coil, you might want to tape the wires, as all are probably same colors and could get mixed up when removing.
                              Good luck, let us know what's happening.

Comment

• thanks for the reply I will start those tests as soon as I can but it is getting dark pretty early after work this time of year!

Comment

Working...
                                X