95 dt150 help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring

I can trace wires but the image is too fuzzy to read the colors. I will go out and test the spark next.

Comment

checking firing

You may need to check several more times, both when cold and warmed up, which is why I say document each test. And why I ask you to alternate sides tested, to find out what is going on.
      And make sure you read that thread I suggested in last message about
      ” missing at speed” by, seaox230c.
      It could relate to your problems. So document.
      good luck.

Comment

????

well I have just spent the last hour trying to duplicate the results from yesterday the only fire I can get is from the 2,4&6 cylinders it is consistent and equal all I can figure is a loose wire but I don't have a clue where to start looking? just read your last post I will read the other thread and see where it leads.
        thanks

Comment

I went thru the thread you recommended there is no way that I can do that in-depth testing but I will do what I can thanks for the link.

Comment

testing

No dk, I didn't mean for you to do it, I was just showing a thread to you where this person had similar situation, and he worked it out.
            We all learn from these problems, and those of us here are people, just like you that have similar experiences, but we enjoy trying to make something work, and help others like yourself work through these problems.
            This persons thread/ problem may also play a part in your problem.

Ok, you have 1,3,& 5 - were partially firing, but not firing now. Did you do anything that may have caused that? Was the timing light connected at the side of your motor, or directly at the battery? Did you change that setup? Do you have any loose wire connections near there? Corrosion?
            Maybe you could start the motor, with timing light connected tie the trigger back, and see if carefully wiggling wires/ plug connectors causes changes?
            Let us know.

Comment

Great idea solarman. I would do as solarman suggested either tying or have someone hold the timing light on and try moving the tilt up and see if the other cylinders kick in.

Comment

I assume that I must have adjusted something but I cant figure out what. both times the timing light was attached to the battery. is there a common set of wires or maybe a sensor or coil that have #1,#3&#5 in common?

Comment

Timing coils and magneto, that's why I mentioned that other persons thread on his problem, did you read it.similar to your situation.

Comment

common point for firing

If all 3 on one side are not firing, check the magneto connections thoroughly. Would hate for you to by a magneto if it's just a bad plug connector. But, the magneto is the common link for each side of the motor, if all 3 cylinders are not firing.
                    If less than 3 are not firing it is probably a timing coil, as each timing/ pulse coil covers 2 cylinders. The gear counting coil, would affect fire to all cylinders if bad adjustment, or intermittent.
                    God luck, and let us know what you find.
                    Last edited by Solarman; 08-26-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• thanks for the direction I will try see if I can isolate the problem tomorrow thanks!

Comment

• dt150, running issues

Dkshooter, haven't heard anything back from you?
                        As I recall you had 2 possible issues, latest was no fire on one side of the motor, and the other was if your TVs sensor was reading correctly? Have you done anything with these issues?
                        Let us know what's up.

Comment

• Sorry for the delay but I wanted to be as careful as I could I basicly removed the wire harness checking for loose wires and bad grounds (short of pulling the flywheel) could not see anything the TVS readings were off slightly so I reset it by the manual. I have not been able to get it to fire on 1,3&5 except for the 1 time when they did fire weakly and with a noticeable miss. I located 1 connector in the coil pack that is not plugged in it has b/r and a w/y wires on 1 side and nothing out.
                          thanks

Comment

• Well I didn't expect you to remove the wire harness. All you needed to do was check continuity on each end of the wires to where they plug into the ecm. If the coils aren't firing those (1,3,5) plugs, then your problem is more than likely the magneto, if all 3 plugs on that one side aren't firing.
                            So now you can carefully put the harness back, and for the 2 wires you had open, check the wire schematic for those 2 wires. If those 2 wires are not related to the coils for 1, 3, or 5, then leave them the way they were.
                            Let me know, what you're thinking.
                            Last edited by Solarman; 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• magneto test

well I checked the magneto per the manual I got 0 on all the yellow combos and 1 on the y to g on the g-b/r got 86 and w/r-w/bl I got 513 so I am thinking my charging coils are bad does this make any sense? and would this cause the cylinders to drop out?

Comment

• charging coils

Try testing between yellow and red wire for charging coils. Do you get a reading? How does your manual say to test the charging coils?

Comment

Working...
                                X